New Space community centre opens in Hatfield
A LONG-AWAITED community centre for the people of Hatfield has opened its doors for the first time.
Hatfield Space, based on the ground floor of Queensway House in the town centre, welcomed almost 100 people for its opening session, as youngsters, teenagers and parents flocked to see the facilities on offer.
It is the second Space community centre in Times Territory, after YMCA Central Herts, which manages the project, opened Space WGC in 2008.
The official opening of the centre took place yesterday (Friday), and already staff and volunteers at the new centre are pleased with the reaction so far.
Hatfield Space lead youth worker Kelly Hockley said: “We are delighted with the response; the after-school session was packed but everyone had something to do: a video web chat with their friends, helping to create decorations for a Space display, a cosy sofa to do homework on or a Buzz quiz tournament between new friends.
You may also want to watch:
“The evening session had a relaxed feel to it and the young people really took to the Space and made themselves at home, respecting their new equipment and getting to know YMCA Space staff and volunteers.
“There was an overall thumbs-up for the newly renovated building and young people were coming up with lots of exciting ideas for what could be done with the basement space, which YMCA Central Herts staff and supporters are currently trying to raise additional funds to renovate.”
- 1 Keep on the grass - sign telling people to stay off land taped over
- 2 Meet the man driving a tractor 270 miles from Cornwall to Codicote
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 5 July 19: Extended restrictions will bring 'big costs' to our businesses
- 6 Would you quit drinking and smoking?
- 7 Businesses react as relaxation of Covid restrictions delayed to July 19
- 8 100 not out for centenarian Gladys
- 9 Woody & Kleiny release Euros single Route 66 with The Hoosiers for charity CALM
- 10 Getting wild at Panshanger Park with Herts and Middlesex Wildlife Trust