New council leader appointed for Welwyn Hatfield
- Credit: Archant
Councillor Tony Kingsbury has been appointed the new leader of Welwyn Hatfield Council following the death of former leader Mandy Perkins.
Cllr Kingsbury took over the role following a full council meeting on Monday, November 19.
He has served as a councillor for nine years and in Welwyn West since 2016, becoming a member of the council’s cabinet in 2010. In this role, he has held portfolios including leisure and community, policy and culture and housing and community.
Cllr Duncan Bell, executive member for resources, has been appointed as deputy leader, and Cllr Nick Pace has joined the cabinet and will take on much of Cllr Kingsbury’s previous portfolio of housing and community.
Meanwhile Cllr Steven Markiewicz will take over Cllr Pace’s previous role as chairman of the council’s overview and scrutiny committee.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Kingsbury said: “I look forward to building on the work Mandy had done in her time as Leader. Particularly continuing her focus on really listening to the views of residents and businesses to help shape the important decisions we make that impact daily life in the borough.
“It’s an exciting time to lead the council with many significant projects underway, including: the regeneration of Hatfield town centre and High View, the imminent completion of more new homes under our Affordable Housing programme, Welwyn Garden City town centre improvements, and the new small business incubator centre in Hatfield.
- 1 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
- 2 COVID-19: Welwyn Hatfield tops Hertfordshire for cases per 100,000
- 3 Golf club has dozens of buggy batteries stolen in one day
- 4 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 5 Herts and West Essex boast highest vaccination figures in East of England
- 6 Coroner rules Joy Morgan death 'unlawful killing' but finds no cause at inquest
- 7 Local Plan: Inspector has concerns over why Green Belt sites were removed
- 8 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 9 Mum-of-four loses six stone in just over a year after being unable to play with her youngest child
- 10 'Horrific' abuser who 'showed no remorse' sentenced
“I look forwarding to working with my Cabinet and Councillor colleagues to deliver on these initiatives and the many more exciting projects we have in the pipeline.”