New Hatfield town centre project is “realistic”
NEW plans to resurrect the Hatfield regeneration project have been unveiled.
THE new scheme to regenerate Hatfield town centre is achievable, planning bosses have said.
This week, Welwyn Hatfield Council, developers St Modwen and the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA), unveiled a revised plan to finally redevelop the town, at a reduced cost of �45m.
The council is expecting a planning application from St Modwen imminently, something council leader John Dean described as a “significant step for the town centre”.
And although the scheme still hinges on the partnership managing to bridge an as-yet-undisclosed funding gap, and it is hoped an application for funding through the Kickstart programme, which is run by the HCA, will be successful.
You may also want to watch:
St Modwen’s regional director Rupert Wood said: “We have worked extremely hard to explore all possible options for getting redevelopment started, but we still face some real challenges.
“We are at a crucial stage where, with the support of our partners and the local community, we have a scheme which we can realistically move forward when funding and economic constraints allow.”
- 1 May 17: What can open when COVID lockdown rules ease on Monday?
- 2 May 17: Pub ready for reopening after £440k refurbishment
- 3 Proposal to turn B&Q into 151 flats
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Social club 'blown away' by community support while closed for extended period
- 6 Students protest and parents call for change after 'lack of action' on racism
- 7 Search continues for missing Stevenage man
- 8 Supermarket evacuated and fire services called following ‘strong smell of gas’
- 9 Six men charged with series of keyless vehicle thefts
- 10 Drugs worth £50,000 found in van pulled over for fly-tipping
Terry Fuller, regional director for the HCA, said: “We will continue to work together with all our partners to deliver a scheme that meets the aspirations of all stakeholders.”
Residents can view the new scheme at an exhibition from February 11 to 13, at the old Pizza Hut in Hatfield town centre.