New era for Welwyn’s former Commando gadget lab
- Credit: Archant
A large mock Gothic mansion on the outskirts of Welwyn that played a key role in World War Two has been converted to luxury flats about to come on the market.
The Frythe, the centrepiece of a wooded estate accessed from the B197, was built in 1846 by William Wilshere, Whig MP for Great Yarmouth.
During World War Two, the house and surrounding grounds were occupied by the Special Operations Executive, which developed Commando equipment such as camouflage and explosives there.
After periods as a research station by Unilever and GlzaxoSmithKline, the site was sold to property developer Linden Homes.
The company’s Wilshere Park development is nearly finished with many homes already sold, but the company has only just started marketing the flats in the mansion itself.
You may also want to watch:
Simon Pendlebury, sales and marketing director, said: “We are proud to be injecting a new lease of life into The Frythe building. This historical landmark was previously home to the influential Wilshere family, before it became a hotel and then most currently used as a war office in World War II.
“With this history, you can be assured that your home at Wilshere Park will be part of a great and interesting heritage, adding to the value of the site and the surrounding area.
- 1 Proposal to turn B&Q into 151 flats
- 2 Supermarket evacuated and fire services called following ‘strong smell of gas’
- 3 Students protest and parents call for change after 'lack of action' on racism
- 4 Six men charged with series of keyless vehicle thefts
- 5 Drugs worth £50,000 found in van pulled over for fly-tipping
- 6 Student wins prestigious cyber security award and trip to NASA
- 7 Chatty duo want to help build community with conversation
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Do you have the unclaimed £1 million winning lottery ticket bought in Welwyn Hatfield?
- 10 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week
“The Frythe apartments have been eagerly awaited so we would encourage to register your interest now for information about this upcoming release.”
The homes are marketed as convenient for shopsand other facilities in Welwyn, with excellent road and rail links.