National Success for Welwyn Garden City Gymnast
WELWYN Garden City gymnast Lucy Moxham continued her success story as she scooped a silver medal at the British Club Grades national finals in Birmingham. The 10-year-old was part of the Eastern Region which finished a close second behind near neighbours
WELWYN Garden City gymnast Lucy Moxham continued her success story as she scooped a silver medal at the British Club Grades national finals in Birmingham.
The 10-year-old was part of the Eastern Region which finished a close second behind near neighbours London in the national finals of the Women's Artistic Gymnast grade eight section.
Proud parent Pauline said: "I am very pleased for Lucy and her team-mates.
"Her floor routine was very good and she was pleased with that.
You may also want to watch:
"But she was annoyed at the beam and felt she could have done even better."
The gap was in fact only 0.7 points, emphasising just how close Lucy and her team-mates came to coming home with gold.
- 1 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
- 2 How was womanising Hatfield policeman allowed to work promoting female safety?
- 3 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 6 Congratulations! See Sir Cliff Richard's The Great 80 Tour live in cinemas
- 7 Woman verbally abused and threatened at petrol station
- 8 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 9 Welwyn Garden City battle adversity to win at Didcot Town
- 10 9 huge shows and music festivals to look forward to in Hertfordshire in 2022
In her grade eight section, the Times Territory youngster came home in 10th spot, with her best performance coming in the floor section.
Lucy, who attends Applecroft Primary School in WGC, scored 12.2 to put her in seventh spot, and added to this with a very competent finish in the bars with a score of 11.9, giving her 10th place on that particular piece of apparatus.
Lucy, who trains at the well-respected Marriotts Gymnastics Club in Stevenage, achieved a high score in the vault with 12.05.
And her score of 11.3 in the beam meant that the WGC resident had secured a top-10 finish overall.
This was a superb result and her individual scores were added to that of team-mates Victoria Abery, India Goodman and Georgia Conway for an overall score of 145.3.
With London coming home in first place with a score of 146, Moxham can be very proud of her and her team's efforts at the Cocks Moors Leisure Centre, coming second out of 13 regions taking part.
Delighted mother Pauline added: "They were all strong teams out there, and no-one had a complete disaster, so the Eastern Region did very well.
"Lucy's coach was pleased with her performance. She is now learning some big moves as she looks to progress further, so we're all looking forward to the future."
Next up for the talented gymnast will be an appearance in the County Girls' Championships on July 19.