Mysterious ‘explosion’ heard near Potters Bar
- Credit: Archant
Confusion has gripped Potters Bar after numerous residents claimed to have heard a deafening “bang” in the town last night (Wednesday).
Described by some as sounding like an “explosion”, it was heard by residents in Cranborne Road, Southgate Road, Sunnybank Road, Oakmere and Little Heath, with one person claiming it even reached St Albans.
A police spokeswoman told the Welwyn Hatfield Times that they had received no official reports last night.
Some people claimed on social media that it may have been a sonic boom, but a Ministry of Defence spokesman confirmed no operations were being held in the area last night.
Members of the public also said they had spotted a cloud of smoke near Hatfield Business Park, but it is not known whether this was anything to do with the loud bang.
You may also want to watch:
The fire service has been contacted for comment.
Updates to follow.
- 1 Is Hertfordshire set to become the new British Hollywood?
- 2 Driving scheme for 10 to 17 year olds launches in Hatfield
- 3 Enjoy the park but treat it with the respect it deserves, says manager
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Taxi driver found guilty of driving offences
- 6 Pregnant woman jailed for more than two years for killing cyclist
- 7 ‘I want to inspire people’ - fundraiser set for sky dive in memory of mother
- 8 Travel blogger quarantined in Canada after returning home for funeral
- 9 Is the era of face-to-face GP appointments over in Hertfordshire?
- 10 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station