Mum praises ‘hero’ son who saved Hatfield flats from burning
A MUM has hailed her son a hero after he saved a block of flats from going up in flames.
Colleen Town told how her 31-year-old son Andrew injured himself while dragging a burning communal bin from underneath properties in Packhouse Court in Hatfield.
The block of flats had to be evacuated after smoke filled the building through the ventilation system on February 27 at 7.30pm.
Ms Town of Golden Dell, WGC, said: “Andrew was passing when he saw the smoke coming from the bin cupboard.
“It was overpowering and bellowing out.
You may also want to watch:
“He got the bin out that was on fire. If it had gone on any longer without being detected maybe the flats would have caught fire.”
The 61-year-old added: “He hurt his neck and shoulders badly as the bin was so big.
- 1 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 2 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Free gift card when you park in Welwyn Garden City this summer
- 5 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 6 Roll up! Roll up! Hatfield goes to the circus!
- 7 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 8 Hollywood in Hertfordshire: 17 film stars and movie directors who have visited Welwyn Hatfield
- 9 Youngsters playing their part as Welwyn Garden City look to continue punching above their weight
- 10 Aspirations to win the league has Ben Spaul excited to be back at Welwyn
“Somebody could have been injured or even killed if the flats had caught fire. He could have been killed himself.
“It was an act of heroism and I am very proud of him.”
Andrew, 31, who lives in the block of flats, was on his way out when he noticed the smoke coming from the bin cupboard.
He said: “The flames were about 3ft high.
“I strained all the muscles in my neck from pulling out the bin which was really heavy but thankfully my neck’s better now.”
The owner of TJ Town Window Cleaning added: “My next-door neighbour has a two-year-old daughter and they live directly above where the fire was so I obviously had to do something.
“After getting the bin out I ran into the restaurant [the Turan] and got buckets of cold water to throw over the flames. Thankfully no one else was injured.”
Firefighters attended the scene.
The cause of the blaze is thought to be arson.