Mum blames QE2 for son's death

PUBLISHED: 16:29 28 May 2008 | UPDATED: 22:19 26 October 2009

Shepreth railway station: scene of the tragedy

Shepreth railway station: scene of the tragedy

A MENTALLY-ILL man who escaped from hospital died just hours later, after being hit by a train. Hatfield man Simon Hickey was found dead at the scene at Shepreth railway station in Cambridgeshire, last Saturday, May 17. He had only hours earlier been admi

A MENTALLY-ILL man who escaped from hospital died just hours later, after being hit by a train.

Hatfield man Simon Hickey was found dead at the scene at Shepreth railway station in Cambridgeshire, last Saturday, May 17.

He had only hours earlier been admitted in to Welwyn ward at the QE2 Hospital, a unit specifically designated for those with mental health problems.

The 39-year-old former Onslow School student lived with his mother Diane in Stockbreach Road, who blamed the hospital for allowing her son to escape.

She said: "He was transferred to Welwyn ward from Hinchingbrooke hospital where doctors had said Simon was a danger to himself.

"The doctors there even said he had asked for pills to kill himself.

"He was put into Welwyn ward because it is supposed to be secure but in my books that is not so.

"He had already asked doctors for his wallet, so they should have been alerted that he wanted to escape, because why else would he have asked them for his wallet?

"He should have been on 24-hour watch and I do blame them."

Gardener and Manchester United fan Simon also leaves behind a brother and two sisters.

Diane added: "Simon will be remembered for his dry sense of humour, willingness to help out but first and foremost his passion for football.

"Our lives will be hard without him, we will miss him terribly but we will never forget him."

A spokesman for the Hertfordshire Partnership NHS Trust, which runs the unit at the QE2, said: "We would wish to extend our sympathy to the family at this time.

"As with any incident we are undertaking an internal investigation."

An inquest was opened and adjourned last Tuesday, May 20.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times