Mugger breaks pensioner’s finger
AN elderly woman had her finger broken and handbag stolen during a vicious daylight robbery – before trying to run after her attacker.
The 80-year-old was mugged by a hoodie while getting into her car in Knolles Crescent, Welham Green, at around 10am on Thursday.
After being grabbed from behind by the teenage thug, the victim, from Hatfield, fell to the floor.
The thief then ran off with her dark blue leather handbag, which contained cash and bank cards, and the have-a-go victim chased after him before being outrun.
Later in the day, police posted letters through residents’ doors in the area to warn them of the mugging.
You may also want to watch:
It said: “It is with regret that I must inform you of a robbery on an elderly lady in Welham Green.
“The victim suffered a broken finger and is still quite shaken.”
- 1 Film crews spotted in Hatfield and Welwyn Garden City
- 2 Murder-suicide investigation in Welwyn Garden City
- 3 Grant Shapps suddenly cancels constituency event amid fuel chaos
- 4 Councillor disappointed as BioPark appeal confirmed
- 5 Five hospitalised after Hatfield dog attack
- 6 Bridgerton: First look at Kate Sharma in season two of Netflix drama
- 7 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 8 Nature migrations: Ospreys and other migrant visitors to Panshanger Park
- 9 Welwyn Garden Cup off on another cup adventure after dramatic FA Trophy win over Hythe
- 10 Arson attack on two cars in Hatfield street
Detective constable Mark Lotte, investigating, said: “This is an appalling crime and the victim required hospital treatment.
“I am appealing for any witnesses who may have been in the area at the time and saw any suspicious behaviour to contact us immediately.”
The thief is described as aged 15 to 20, and he was wearing a dark blue hooded anorak and dark blue trousers.
If you have any information, call police on 0845 33 00 222.