Mugger breaks pensioner’s finger
AN elderly woman had her finger broken and handbag stolen during a vicious daylight robbery – before trying to run after her attacker.
The 80-year-old was mugged by a hoodie while getting into her car in Knolles Crescent, Welham Green, at around 10am on Thursday.
After being grabbed from behind by the teenage thug, the victim, from Hatfield, fell to the floor.
The thief then ran off with her dark blue leather handbag, which contained cash and bank cards, and the have-a-go victim chased after him before being outrun.
Later in the day, police posted letters through residents’ doors in the area to warn them of the mugging.
You may also want to watch:
It said: “It is with regret that I must inform you of a robbery on an elderly lady in Welham Green.
“The victim suffered a broken finger and is still quite shaken.”
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 When Spielberg and Tom Hanks came to Hatfield for filming
- 3 Closing the New QEII at night permanently still to be considered
- 4 Exploring the challenges of being furloughed during lockdown
- 5 Charity's face mask exempt cards sold at an inflated price on Facebook
- 6 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 7 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 8 Head of planning to leave for county council role
- 9 Who is Lady Danbury in new Netflix series Bridgerton?
- 10 Welwyn Hatfield's links to new Disney+ series WandaVision
Detective constable Mark Lotte, investigating, said: “This is an appalling crime and the victim required hospital treatment.
“I am appealing for any witnesses who may have been in the area at the time and saw any suspicious behaviour to contact us immediately.”
The thief is described as aged 15 to 20, and he was wearing a dark blue hooded anorak and dark blue trousers.
If you have any information, call police on 0845 33 00 222.