MPs' expenses: 'claims must be transparent' says Shapps
ALL expense claims by MPs should be published online as soon as they are made. That's the view of Welwyn Hatfield MP Grant Shapps, who said the current system 'absolutely' needed cleaning up. He was speaking to the WHT following days of damaging national
ALL expense claims by MPs should be published online as soon as they are made.
That's the view of Welwyn Hatfield MP Grant Shapps, who said the current system "absolutely" needed cleaning up.
He was speaking to the WHT following days of damaging national headlines over claims made by MPs, mainly to fund second homes.
Mr Shapps said a new "transparent" system would go some way to rebuilding public confidence in their elected representatives.
You may also want to watch:
"People are right to feel pretty angry. It's been hugely damaging for Parliament and democracy, and is pushing people further away from those that have been elected.
"It's time to put an end to all this. The system absolutely has to be cleaned up."
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 3 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 4 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 5 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 6 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 7 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 8 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 9 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
- 10 Primary school receives award for excellence in science education
Mr Shapps suggested receipts should be posted online as and when costs were incurred.
"I think it should be as transparent as possible. Doing that would discourage MPs from making claims that are less than reasonable."
For more reaction from Mr Shapps over MPs' expenses, see tomorrow's (Wednesday) WHT.