MPs' expenses: 'claims must be transparent' says Shapps
ALL expense claims by MPs should be published online as soon as they are made. That's the view of Welwyn Hatfield MP Grant Shapps, who said the current system 'absolutely' needed cleaning up. He was speaking to the WHT following days of damaging national
ALL expense claims by MPs should be published online as soon as they are made.
That's the view of Welwyn Hatfield MP Grant Shapps, who said the current system "absolutely" needed cleaning up.
He was speaking to the WHT following days of damaging national headlines over claims made by MPs, mainly to fund second homes.
Mr Shapps said a new "transparent" system would go some way to rebuilding public confidence in their elected representatives.
You may also want to watch:
"People are right to feel pretty angry. It's been hugely damaging for Parliament and democracy, and is pushing people further away from those that have been elected.
"It's time to put an end to all this. The system absolutely has to be cleaned up."
- 1 Is Hertfordshire set to become the new British Hollywood?
- 2 Is the era of face-to-face GP appointments over in Hertfordshire?
- 3 Taxi driver found guilty of driving offences
- 4 Enjoy the park but treat it with the respect it deserves, says manager
- 5 Parents thank school for going 'above and beyond' to include children who had to shield for over a year
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 Pregnant woman jailed for more than two years for killing cyclist
- 8 Galleria launches 'We Love Local' venture for businesses
- 9 Travel blogger quarantined in Canada after returning home for funeral
- 10 Driving scheme for 10 to 17 year olds launches in Hatfield
Mr Shapps suggested receipts should be posted online as and when costs were incurred.
"I think it should be as transparent as possible. Doing that would discourage MPs from making claims that are less than reasonable."
For more reaction from Mr Shapps over MPs' expenses, see tomorrow's (Wednesday) WHT.