MPs' expenses: 'claims must be transparent' says Shapps
ALL expense claims by MPs should be published online as soon as they are made. That's the view of Welwyn Hatfield MP Grant Shapps, who said the current system 'absolutely' needed cleaning up. He was speaking to the WHT following days of damaging national
ALL expense claims by MPs should be published online as soon as they are made.
That's the view of Welwyn Hatfield MP Grant Shapps, who said the current system "absolutely" needed cleaning up.
He was speaking to the WHT following days of damaging national headlines over claims made by MPs, mainly to fund second homes.
Mr Shapps said a new "transparent" system would go some way to rebuilding public confidence in their elected representatives.
You may also want to watch:
"People are right to feel pretty angry. It's been hugely damaging for Parliament and democracy, and is pushing people further away from those that have been elected.
"It's time to put an end to all this. The system absolutely has to be cleaned up."
- 1 Headteacher 'very proud' of 'healthy and balanced' free school meal hampers
- 2 GP practice vaccinated 1,000 people in first week
- 3 Police appeal for public information after puppy found dead on A414
- 4 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 5 Two people rescued after flood warnings issued
- 6 Knife reportedly used to rob man in his 20s outside Co-op ATM
- 7 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 8 Party organiser fined £10,000 after 150 people attend gathering
- 9 Officer injured and music equipment and alcohol seized after party
- 10 Old school gym demolished to make way for new facility
Mr Shapps suggested receipts should be posted online as and when costs were incurred.
"I think it should be as transparent as possible. Doing that would discourage MPs from making claims that are less than reasonable."
For more reaction from Mr Shapps over MPs' expenses, see tomorrow's (Wednesday) WHT.