MPs' expenses: 'claims must be transparent' says Shapps
ALL expense claims by MPs should be published online as soon as they are made. That's the view of Welwyn Hatfield MP Grant Shapps, who said the current system 'absolutely' needed cleaning up. He was speaking to the WHT following days of damaging national
ALL expense claims by MPs should be published online as soon as they are made.
That's the view of Welwyn Hatfield MP Grant Shapps, who said the current system "absolutely" needed cleaning up.
He was speaking to the WHT following days of damaging national headlines over claims made by MPs, mainly to fund second homes.
Mr Shapps said a new "transparent" system would go some way to rebuilding public confidence in their elected representatives.
You may also want to watch:
"People are right to feel pretty angry. It's been hugely damaging for Parliament and democracy, and is pushing people further away from those that have been elected.
"It's time to put an end to all this. The system absolutely has to be cleaned up."
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 5 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 6 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 7 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 8 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 9 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 10 'This is history!' - 25 facts about the Oasis concerts at Knebworth Park 25 years ago
Mr Shapps suggested receipts should be posted online as and when costs were incurred.
"I think it should be as transparent as possible. Doing that would discourage MPs from making claims that are less than reasonable."
For more reaction from Mr Shapps over MPs' expenses, see tomorrow's (Wednesday) WHT.