MPs back Brookmans Park mum's extradition battle
FOUR senior MPs have thrown their weight behind the campaign to prevent the extradition of an autistic man to the US on computer hacking charges. Michael Meacher, David Davis, Keith Vaz and Chris Huhne have all offered their support to Janis Sharp, the au
FOUR senior MPs have thrown their weight behind the campaign to prevent the extradition of an autistic man to the US on computer hacking charges.
Michael Meacher, David Davis, Keith Vaz and Chris Huhne have all offered their support to Janis Sharp, the author from Brookmans Park, who has been fighting a seven year campaign to keep her son Gary McKinnon in the UK.
He is wanted in America, and if extradited and convicted of computer hacking, Gary, who has Asperger's Syndrome, faces up to 70 years in jail.
Glasgow-born Gary, 43, maintains he was looking for evidence of alien life.
You may also want to watch:
But now the four political heavyweights have joined Janis in the fight to keep Gary in the UK. Janis said: "Michael Meacher has written to the American ambassador and asked him to meet with him along with David Davis and Chris Huhne."
She added: "Keith Vaz is a good friend of (American civil rights activist) Jessie Jackson and is going to write to him about Gary's case.
- 1 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 2 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 6 Community reacts to closure of overnight Urgent Care Centre service at New QEII Hospital
- 7 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 8 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 9 Henry Moore Foundation in Hertfordshire appears in new Fake or Fortune? series on BBC One
- 10 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes