MPs back Brookmans Park mum's extradition battle
FOUR senior MPs have thrown their weight behind the campaign to prevent the extradition of an autistic man to the US on computer hacking charges. Michael Meacher, David Davis, Keith Vaz and Chris Huhne have all offered their support to Janis Sharp, the au
FOUR senior MPs have thrown their weight behind the campaign to prevent the extradition of an autistic man to the US on computer hacking charges.
Michael Meacher, David Davis, Keith Vaz and Chris Huhne have all offered their support to Janis Sharp, the author from Brookmans Park, who has been fighting a seven year campaign to keep her son Gary McKinnon in the UK.
He is wanted in America, and if extradited and convicted of computer hacking, Gary, who has Asperger's Syndrome, faces up to 70 years in jail.
Glasgow-born Gary, 43, maintains he was looking for evidence of alien life.
You may also want to watch:
But now the four political heavyweights have joined Janis in the fight to keep Gary in the UK. Janis said: "Michael Meacher has written to the American ambassador and asked him to meet with him along with David Davis and Chris Huhne."
She added: "Keith Vaz is a good friend of (American civil rights activist) Jessie Jackson and is going to write to him about Gary's case.
- 1 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
- 2 How was womanising Hatfield policeman allowed to work promoting female safety?
- 3 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 4 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Congratulations! See Sir Cliff Richard's The Great 80 Tour live in cinemas
- 7 Woman verbally abused and threatened at petrol station
- 8 9 huge shows and music festivals to look forward to in Hertfordshire in 2022
- 9 Welwyn Garden City battle adversity to win at Didcot Town
- 10 When do the clocks go back in 2021 and British Summer Time ends?