MP welcomes Welwyn Hatfield 10k homes decision
WELWYN Hatfield MP Grant Shapps reacted swiftly to news that Government plans to build more than 10,000 homes in the borough had been quashed by the High Court. He said: "This ruling reveals the extent of
WELWYN Hatfield MP Grant Shapps reacted swiftly to news that Government plans to build more than 10,000 homes in the borough had been quashed by the High Court.
He said: "This ruling reveals the extent of the Government's failure in housing.
"Their insistence on top-down, headline-grabbing, Whitehall-based housing targets did not consider the needs of local communities like ours, let alone our lack of infrastructure, axed QE2 Hospital services or the deletion of our green belt.
"It's time for the Government to follow our lead, scrap these arbitrary central house building targets and work with communities like ours to incentivise house building by giving us something back in return.
You may also want to watch:
"They could start by not axing A&E and maternity at the QE2 Hospital and by helping us to rebuild Hatfield Town Centre."
A High Court judge ruled yesterday that the Government's policy strategy relating to proposed development at Hemel Hempstead, Welwyn Garden City and Hatfield was flawed and must be quashed and reconsidered.
- 1 Closing the New QEII at night permanently still to be considered
- 2 COVID-19 deaths across Hertfordshire hit new milestone
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Exploring the challenges of being furloughed during lockdown
- 5 Who is Lady Danbury in new Netflix series Bridgerton?
- 6 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 7 Eight-year-old actress joins sister in the big screen as she stars in independent domestic abuse film
- 8 Former Spitfire and Hurricane engineer celebrates 100th birthday
- 9 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 10 Charity's face mask exempt cards sold at an inflated price on Facebook