MP welcomes Welwyn Hatfield 10k homes decision
WELWYN Hatfield MP Grant Shapps reacted swiftly to news that Government plans to build more than 10,000 homes in the borough had been quashed by the High Court. He said: "This ruling reveals the extent of
WELWYN Hatfield MP Grant Shapps reacted swiftly to news that Government plans to build more than 10,000 homes in the borough had been quashed by the High Court.
He said: "This ruling reveals the extent of the Government's failure in housing.
"Their insistence on top-down, headline-grabbing, Whitehall-based housing targets did not consider the needs of local communities like ours, let alone our lack of infrastructure, axed QE2 Hospital services or the deletion of our green belt.
"It's time for the Government to follow our lead, scrap these arbitrary central house building targets and work with communities like ours to incentivise house building by giving us something back in return.
You may also want to watch:
"They could start by not axing A&E and maternity at the QE2 Hospital and by helping us to rebuild Hatfield Town Centre."
A High Court judge ruled yesterday that the Government's policy strategy relating to proposed development at Hemel Hempstead, Welwyn Garden City and Hatfield was flawed and must be quashed and reconsidered.
- 1 Planning application submitted for 173-space car park and mobile café at park
- 2 Preparation works under way for Stonehills revamp
- 3 People with these surnames in Herts could be sitting on unclaimed estate fortunes
- 4 Man suffers fractured skull and bleed on the brain after pub assault
- 5 Mum's proud of soldier son's guard of honour role at Prince Philip's funeral
- 6 Delight for performing arts school as song hits number one in iTunes classical charts
- 7 Teenager charged after 'Rambo knife' and suspected class A drugs found
- 8 What to do if you see these hazardous caterpillars in a park
- 9 NHS hired conman on £320,000 five months after he was unmasked
- 10 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station