Motorist “sick” after seeing Woolmer Green death crash
A MOTORIST has described the aftermath of the crash in Woolmer Green which left one person dead and another critically injured in hospital.
The accident happened at around 2.40am today (Friday) when an Audi A3 overturned in London Road, opposite The Chequers Inn pub, while being pursued by police.
One man died while another was taken to the Lister Hospital in Stevenage with what paramedics described as “life threatening injuries”.
Two other passengers, both men, were taken to the Lister with non-life threatening injuries.
A 25-year-old from Bedford has been arrested on suspicion of failing to stop for police, dangerous driving, driving without a licence and driving under the influence of alcohol.
Stevenage resident Jamie Butler was driving through Knebworth when he said he was overtaken by a speeding car and four police vehicles.
He told the Welwyn Hatfield Times: “I saw a car drive past me with four police cars close behind it.
- 1 Concerns raised over structural integrity of Shredded Wheat factory building
- 2 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 3 Man in stable condition following Hatfield stabbing
- 4 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 7 Sir Elton John to play two Hertfordshire shows at Watford FC's Vicarage Road ground in 2022
- 8 Motorcyclist "seriously" injured after car crash in Welwyn Garden City
- 9 Drug dealer jailed after £9,000 worth of crack cocaine found in bedroom
- 10 6 chart-topping bands and singers to have played concerts at Hatfield House
“When we got to the corner [of London Road, where the accident took place] there was debris everywhere. The wheels were still spinning and there was smoke coming from the car.
“The police told us to just go and drive on, so we did.
“I felt sick seeing it.”
London Road is still closed between the junction of Bridge Road and the roundabout for the A1(M) near Welwyn while an investigation into the crash takes place.
The Independent Police Complaints Commission [IPCC] is currently assessing whether to launch its own investigation into the crash.
An IPCC spokeswoman said: “At 3.30am today the IPCC was notified by Hertfordshire Police of a road traffic incident in which one man died.
“The IPCC has deployed investigators to the scene and the circumstances of the incident are currently being assessed.”