Motor racing brothers get into gear
ESSENDON-based motor racing brothers Liam and Kieran Griffin are making a full- scale assault on the Volkswagen Racing Cup this season. The siblings took up motor sport only last term, but have already established themselves as front-runners in the champi
ESSENDON-based motor racing brothers Liam and Kieran Griffin are making a full-
scale assault on the Volkswagen Racing Cup this season.
The siblings took up motor sport only last term, but have already established themselves as front-runners in the championship.
For his 2009 campaign, 36-year-old Liam has introduced the Scirocco Coupe to the series.
You may also want to watch:
The 2-litre turbocharged racer has been honed during winter testing into one of the quickest cars on the grid.
Liam demonstrated the new car's potential at the opening meeting of the season, at Oulton Park in Cheshire, where he claimed pole position in qualifying.
- 1 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
- 2 COVID-19: Welwyn Hatfield tops Hertfordshire for cases per 100,000
- 3 Golf club has dozens of buggy batteries stolen in one day
- 4 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 5 Herts and West Essex boast highest vaccination figures in East of England
- 6 Coroner rules Joy Morgan death 'unlawful killing' but finds no cause at inquest
- 7 Local Plan: Inspector has concerns over why Green Belt sites were removed
- 8 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 9 Mum-of-four loses six stone in just over a year after being unable to play with her youngest child
- 10 'Horrific' abuser who 'showed no remorse' sentenced
Alas for Griffin, accidents in both of the Oulton races put paid to his hopes of a winning start.
Brother Kieran, 38, fared rather better at the wheel of Liam's old mount, a Golf GTI.
Though he failed to finish race one after starting 10th on the grid, Kieran gave a strong performance in round two, coming from the back to take 11th place.
The brothers are backed by Addison Lee, Citygate Volkswagen and Pillar Data Systems.
They will be in action on May 31 at the Rockingham circuit in Northamptonshire.