Motor racing brothers get into gear
ESSENDON-based motor racing brothers Liam and Kieran Griffin are making a full- scale assault on the Volkswagen Racing Cup this season. The siblings took up motor sport only last term, but have already established themselves as front-runners in the champi
ESSENDON-based motor racing brothers Liam and Kieran Griffin are making a full-
scale assault on the Volkswagen Racing Cup this season.
The siblings took up motor sport only last term, but have already established themselves as front-runners in the championship.
For his 2009 campaign, 36-year-old Liam has introduced the Scirocco Coupe to the series.
You may also want to watch:
The 2-litre turbocharged racer has been honed during winter testing into one of the quickest cars on the grid.
Liam demonstrated the new car's potential at the opening meeting of the season, at Oulton Park in Cheshire, where he claimed pole position in qualifying.
- 1 Homes damaged by people throwing bricks
- 2 Stay vigilant say police after man allegedly seen trying car door handles
- 3 Mass participation 10K test event in Hatfield Park postponed and new venue being sought
- 4 ‘It’s been a great day!’ - Businesses and customers delight as shops, hairdressers and pubs reopen
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 'It's special to see your loved ones smiling away' - woman raises money to buy companion toys for care home residents
- 7 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 8 Explosive new Fast & Furious 9 trailer and UK release date revealed
- 9 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 10 Michael Bublé's Hatfield concert postponed until July 2022
Alas for Griffin, accidents in both of the Oulton races put paid to his hopes of a winning start.
Brother Kieran, 38, fared rather better at the wheel of Liam's old mount, a Golf GTI.
Though he failed to finish race one after starting 10th on the grid, Kieran gave a strong performance in round two, coming from the back to take 11th place.
The brothers are backed by Addison Lee, Citygate Volkswagen and Pillar Data Systems.
They will be in action on May 31 at the Rockingham circuit in Northamptonshire.