More travellers pitches for Potters Bar
PLANS to provide extra travellers pitches in Hertsmere have been given the green light by a top Government minister. Communities secretary Hazel Blears had been considering proposals from the East of England Regional Assembly (EERA) to increase the numbe
PLANS to provide extra travellers' pitches in Hertsmere have been given the green light by a top Government minister.
Communities secretary Hazel Blears had been considering proposals from the East of England Regional Assembly (EERA) to increase the number of traveller pitches across Hertfordshire.
And the minister has now decided to accept the assembly's recommendation that the Hertsmere should contribute an additional 18 pitches by 2011.
Six of these pitches are set to be provided at the Pylon Site, in Barnet Road, Potters Bar.
A decision has yet to be taken as to the location of the other 12.
Borough councillor Hannah David, planning portfolio holder, said: "We accept that we must play our part in providing accommodation needs for gypsy and traveller communities in Hertsmere and feel that providing 18 pitches by 2011 is sufficient.
- 1 What is the future for The Howard Centre?
- 2 Shoppers predict ‘demise’ of Welwyn Garden City town centre after store closures announced
- 3 Buyers can now reserve an apartment in Hatfield Rise
- 4 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 5 Axes and knives found during weapons raid
- 6 Cash stolen from elderly man using bank ATM
- 7 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 8 Stevenage health lead 'appalled' as Lister stroke unit is downgraded again
- 9 'Friendship zone' created in Welwyn school
- 10 Work begins on Welwyn Garden City’s new-look Anniversary Gardens
"We have already granted planning permission for six of the 18 pitches and are looking at where the others pitches could go."
She added: "No decisions have been made yet and we will carry out full consultation before anything is decided."
Ms Blears' review of EERA's plans is subject to public consultation until May 22.
To have your say go to www.goe-consult.limehouse.co.uk/portal or call 01223 372772.