More than 1,000 new trees to be planted
RESIDENTS are being invited to help plant more than 1,000 new trees in a Potters Bar park this weekend.
Scores of dead and diseased trees have been cleared from Parkfield to make way for 18 standard oaks, plus dozens of alder, field maple, birch, beech and wild cherry trees.
The work, which is being undertaken by Hertsmere Borough Council, began on Monday.
But this Sunday, members of the public will be able to come along and plant a tree themselves for free.
Cllr Jean Heywood, environment portfolio holder, said the planting would transform the area.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “The work forms part of our on-going maintenance and improvement works at all our parks in the borough and as the new trees grow they will become fantastic centre pieces for the future and help to enhance the natural environment.”
The planting is being supported by the Friends of Potters Bar Parks.
- 1 Keep on the grass - sign telling people to stay off land taped over
- 2 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Save Symondshyde still waiting for inspector's report
- 5 Welwyn Garden City Hockey Club pushing for more girls to play in centenary season
- 6 Woody & Kleiny release Euros single Route 66 with The Hoosiers for charity CALM
- 7 Welwyn continue meteoric rise up the table as Owais Shah takes centre stage again
- 8 Heroic dogs win Royal Veterinary College award
- 9 'This doesn’t make much sense' - MPs react to proposed boundary changes
- 10 Brookmans Park Golf Club delighted with all aspects of a great club championship day
Spokeswoman Doreen Scivyer said: “We do hope people will come along and get involved in this final section of planting.
“Even better, why not bring the whole family and together create something of which you can truly be proud and which will benefit people for generations to come.”
To take part, just turn up wearing old clothes at 10am on Sunday. Tools will be provided.