More tales of pushy cold callers in Welwyn Hatfield
RESIDENTS from across Times Territory have spoken of their frustration after a recent plague of 'pushy' door-to-door cold callers targeting the elderly. In last week's WHT, we told how Janet Harmer, from Hatfield, was pestered by two salesmen from utility
RESIDENTS from across Times Territory have spoken of their frustration after a recent plague of "pushy" door-to-door cold callers targeting the elderly.
In last week's WHT, we told how Janet Harmer, from Hatfield, was pestered by two salesmen from utility company Southern Electric.
Now others have been in touch.
Michael Brown, 73, of Holloways Lane, Welham Green, said: "I had a Southern Electric salesmen knock at my house even though there is a sign on my front door stating 'no salesmen'.
You may also want to watch:
"This was not a problem for me as although I am a pensioner, I am big and ugly enough to stand up for myself, but it worries me for my neighbours who are elderly ladies on their own.
"The man was very pushy and insistent even though I told him I do not buy anything at the door.
- 1 ‘It’s been a great day!’ - Businesses and customers delight as shops, hairdressers and pubs reopen
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 Mass participation 10K test event in Hatfield Park postponed and new venue being sought
- 4 Clinic launched at sports village to help 'long COVID' sufferers
- 5 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 6 Care home resident celebrates 102nd birthday
- 7 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 8 Michael Bublé's Hatfield concert postponed until July 2022
- 9 Shoppers encouraged to stay safe as lockdown eases
- 10 Brookmans Park pub celebrates welcoming back visitors on April 12
"It's an intrusion."
Terry Lindin, of Guessens Court, WGC, intervened when a salesman targeted his 90-year-old neighbour last week.
He said: "They seem to be targeting elderly people.
"He was banging on her door and I had to tell him, in no uncertain terms, to go away, as she didn't need bothering."
"He was very pushy, but being a man of the world I don't push very easily."
The 73-year-old added: "It's pleasing a paper like yours is taking on the challenge."
John Godfrey discovered a Southern Electric salesman in his 85-year-old father-in-law's house in Potters Bar last week.
He said: "It's terrible.
"They are preying on the elderly."
A Southern Electric spokeswoman said: "In the past we have supported this newspaper in the campaign to stamp out unwanted door step sellers and are therefore very confused to hear these allegations.
"We would be pleased to talk to anybody directly about this and would ask them to feel free to contact us."
Contact Southern Electric's complaints hotline on 08457 444555.