More tales of pushy cold callers in Welwyn Hatfield
RESIDENTS from across Times Territory have spoken of their frustration after a recent plague of 'pushy' door-to-door cold callers targeting the elderly. In last week's WHT, we told how Janet Harmer, from Hatfield, was pestered by two salesmen from utility
RESIDENTS from across Times Territory have spoken of their frustration after a recent plague of "pushy" door-to-door cold callers targeting the elderly.
In last week's WHT, we told how Janet Harmer, from Hatfield, was pestered by two salesmen from utility company Southern Electric.
Now others have been in touch.
Michael Brown, 73, of Holloways Lane, Welham Green, said: "I had a Southern Electric salesmen knock at my house even though there is a sign on my front door stating 'no salesmen'.
You may also want to watch:
"This was not a problem for me as although I am a pensioner, I am big and ugly enough to stand up for myself, but it worries me for my neighbours who are elderly ladies on their own.
"The man was very pushy and insistent even though I told him I do not buy anything at the door.
- 1 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
- 2 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 3 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 4 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 5 Football fanatic honoured with FA award for services to grassroots game
- 6 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 7 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 9 Grant Shapps 'completely opposed' to closure of QEII Urgent Care Centre at night
- 10 Unanimous vote to close overnight service at Welwyn Garden City Urgent Care Centre
"It's an intrusion."
Terry Lindin, of Guessens Court, WGC, intervened when a salesman targeted his 90-year-old neighbour last week.
He said: "They seem to be targeting elderly people.
"He was banging on her door and I had to tell him, in no uncertain terms, to go away, as she didn't need bothering."
"He was very pushy, but being a man of the world I don't push very easily."
The 73-year-old added: "It's pleasing a paper like yours is taking on the challenge."
John Godfrey discovered a Southern Electric salesman in his 85-year-old father-in-law's house in Potters Bar last week.
He said: "It's terrible.
"They are preying on the elderly."
A Southern Electric spokeswoman said: "In the past we have supported this newspaper in the campaign to stamp out unwanted door step sellers and are therefore very confused to hear these allegations.
"We would be pleased to talk to anybody directly about this and would ask them to feel free to contact us."
Contact Southern Electric's complaints hotline on 08457 444555.