Moore's the merrier as Welwyn Garden City celebrate superb victory
TWO goals from Fabio Valenti helped Welwyn Garden City claim the scalp of second-placed Langford yesterday (Saturday). Valenti struck twice in the first half as the Citizens beat the Reds 3-1 at Herns Lane. Johnny Moore netted the third for City in the Sp
TWO goals from Fabio Valenti helped Welwyn Garden City claim the scalp of second-placed Langford yesterday (Saturday).
Valenti struck twice in the first half as the Citizens beat the Reds 3-1 at Herns Lane.
Johnny Moore netted the third for City in the Spartan South Midlands Football League Premier Division match.
It was an excellent victory for WGC as joint managers Del Deanus and Steve Newing were both away.
You may also want to watch:
With the dynamic management duo missing, midfielder Richard Morton took charge for the afternoon.
Morton was without some key players, including top scorer Stuart Blackburne who was sidelined with an ankle injury.
- 1 'Fantastic to meet everybody' - New White Horse pub manager looking forward to letting more people in on May 17
- 2 'Through the worst of it' - Funeral director looking forward to return to normality after busiest months of his 25 year career
- 3 'Time to deliver' - Councillors react to the May 6 local elections results
- 4 Symbolic centenary torch created by student to be stored in museum
- 5 Missing teen found safe and well
- 6 Full list of Welwyn Hatfield results for Local Elections 2021
- 7 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 8 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 9 Richard Roberts set to become leader of Herts County Council
- 10 County council elections round-up for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
However, Morton did a masterful job as the Citizens made a mockery of their lowly league position against the title-chasers from Forde Park.
WGC keeper Rob Blackburne made an excellent save in the opening minutes of the game.
City took the lead 28 minutes into the first half when Valenti found the net.
The same player doubled the lead five minutes later from a free-kick to send his side into the break 2-0 up.
Langford pulled one back eight minutes into the second period before man-of-the- match Moore hit a thunderbolt into the net for the winner.
Mark Blackburne was also impressive throughout for City, playing an unaccustomed role up front for most of the game.
WGC visit Brimsdown Rovers next Saturday for their first league game of 2009.