Midnight mayhem in Welwyn Garden City town pub brawl
TEN police vehicles raced to a WGC street on Sunday after reports of a large disturbance and chaos among revellers. A worker from O Neill s pub in Parkway told how police had to use CS gas to disperse the 40-strong crowd as mayhem unfolded just after
TEN police vehicles raced to a WGC street on Sunday after reports of a large disturbance and chaos among revellers.
A worker from O'Neill's pub in Parkway told how police had to use CS gas to disperse the 40-strong crowd as mayhem unfolded just after midnight.
The pub employee said officers - some of whom had arrived in three riot vans - and two dog handlers, sprayed CS gas at members of the rowdy crowd to gain control of the situation.
He added: "The security staff and police did a good job."
You may also want to watch:
An eyewitness said: "It kicked off after midnight and suddenly there was police everywhere.
"Police officers had Alsatians which were really fired up by the shouting and were barking at everyone."
- 1 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 2 Free gift card when you park in Welwyn Garden City this summer
- 3 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Roll up! Roll up! Hatfield goes to the circus!
- 6 Support for Bukayo Saka continues as youth football team delivers shirt to England's Euro 2020 star
- 7 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 8 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 9 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 10 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
The 28-year-old man, who did not wish to be named, added: "There seems to be more trouble and fighting in WGC every week and I don't like going out round here anymore."
Police say trouble flared in the pub and spilled out onto the street.
A police spokeswoman said: "Police were called at 12.05am after a crowd was acting rowdily and things got heated with a number of scuffles and little fights.
"There were quite a number of officers at the scene and two people were arrested for public disorder offences for threatening, abusive and insulting behaviour."
The spokeswoman added: "The incident was closed at 1.15am."
A 23-year-old man from WGC was arrested and bailed to return to Hatfield police station on May 1.
A 23-year-old man from Stevenage was arrested and cautioned.