Midnight mayhem in Welwyn Garden City town pub brawl
TEN police vehicles raced to a WGC street on Sunday after reports of a large disturbance and chaos among revellers. A worker from O Neill s pub in Parkway told how police had to use CS gas to disperse the 40-strong crowd as mayhem unfolded just after
TEN police vehicles raced to a WGC street on Sunday after reports of a large disturbance and chaos among revellers.
A worker from O'Neill's pub in Parkway told how police had to use CS gas to disperse the 40-strong crowd as mayhem unfolded just after midnight.
The pub employee said officers - some of whom had arrived in three riot vans - and two dog handlers, sprayed CS gas at members of the rowdy crowd to gain control of the situation.
He added: "The security staff and police did a good job."
You may also want to watch:
An eyewitness said: "It kicked off after midnight and suddenly there was police everywhere.
"Police officers had Alsatians which were really fired up by the shouting and were barking at everyone."
- 1 Upgrades to key shopping street will leave town 'well-placed' for future
- 2 Icy weather continues to suspend bin collections
- 3 Police disperse large group near the university
- 4 More than 15 social housing homes open at £6.7 million development
- 5 Isabel Hospice closed to new admissions due to staff sickness
- 6 'We need to be heard and treated fairly' – dog groomers demand after not receiving COVID grant
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 Herts COVID-19 fatalities surge as UK death toll surpasses major milestone
- 9 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
- 10 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
The 28-year-old man, who did not wish to be named, added: "There seems to be more trouble and fighting in WGC every week and I don't like going out round here anymore."
Police say trouble flared in the pub and spilled out onto the street.
A police spokeswoman said: "Police were called at 12.05am after a crowd was acting rowdily and things got heated with a number of scuffles and little fights.
"There were quite a number of officers at the scene and two people were arrested for public disorder offences for threatening, abusive and insulting behaviour."
The spokeswoman added: "The incident was closed at 1.15am."
A 23-year-old man from WGC was arrested and bailed to return to Hatfield police station on May 1.
A 23-year-old man from Stevenage was arrested and cautioned.