Midnight mayhem in Welwyn Garden City town pub brawl
TEN police vehicles raced to a WGC street on Sunday after reports of a large disturbance and chaos among revellers. A worker from O Neill s pub in Parkway told how police had to use CS gas to disperse the 40-strong crowd as mayhem unfolded just after
TEN police vehicles raced to a WGC street on Sunday after reports of a large disturbance and chaos among revellers.
A worker from O'Neill's pub in Parkway told how police had to use CS gas to disperse the 40-strong crowd as mayhem unfolded just after midnight.
The pub employee said officers - some of whom had arrived in three riot vans - and two dog handlers, sprayed CS gas at members of the rowdy crowd to gain control of the situation.
He added: "The security staff and police did a good job."
You may also want to watch:
An eyewitness said: "It kicked off after midnight and suddenly there was police everywhere.
"Police officers had Alsatians which were really fired up by the shouting and were barking at everyone."
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 3 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 4 John Lewis to reopen Welwyn Garden City store on April 12
- 5 Care home resident celebrates 102nd birthday
- 6 Michael Bublé's Hatfield concert postponed until July 2022
- 7 RSPCA appeal to help seriously injured 'miracle cat' Trudie after she's hit by a bus
- 8 Which pubs are reopening in Welwyn and Hatfield on April 12?
- 9 Second major film and TV studios plan revealed for site near Sky Studios Elstree
- 10 Plans for 'largest film studio in the UK' revealed for Hertfordshire
The 28-year-old man, who did not wish to be named, added: "There seems to be more trouble and fighting in WGC every week and I don't like going out round here anymore."
Police say trouble flared in the pub and spilled out onto the street.
A police spokeswoman said: "Police were called at 12.05am after a crowd was acting rowdily and things got heated with a number of scuffles and little fights.
"There were quite a number of officers at the scene and two people were arrested for public disorder offences for threatening, abusive and insulting behaviour."
The spokeswoman added: "The incident was closed at 1.15am."
A 23-year-old man from WGC was arrested and bailed to return to Hatfield police station on May 1.
A 23-year-old man from Stevenage was arrested and cautioned.