Memorial plaque for first home in Welwyn Garden City
A BLUE plaque has been unveiled at the first occupied house in WGC.
The town’s first resident was J. W. Horseman who moved into their home at 43 Handside Lane on December 6, 1920.
Welwyn Hatfield mayor Howard Morgan unveiled the plaque at a ceremony attended by Dr Dennis Lewis who nominated the home.
Welwyn Hatfield’s blue plaque scheme recognises buildings of historic significance in the borough and is organised by Mill Green Museum and the Welwyn Hatfield Heritage Forum.
The suggestion for recognition of the first occupied residence came from Dr Lewis, Heritage Forum chairman. This plaque joins 11 other plaques already sited throughout the town. They are situated at the homes of famous residents including J Kirkland Robertson, architect in the firm Louis De Soissons & Partners, Richard Reiss, social reformer and pioneer, Louis De Soissons, town planner, Dame Flora Robson, actress, C.B. Purdom, author and pioneer, Sir Frederic Osborn, town planner and Sir Ebenezer Howard, town creator.