Meeting over council tax increases tonight
RENT increases for council tenants are expected to be cut by around half tonight (Tuesday), following a surprise Government U-turn. A full meeting of Welwyn Hatfield Council has been arranged for 7pm at Campus West, WGC, after housing minister Margaret B
RENT increases for council tenants are expected to be cut by around half tonight (Tuesday), following a surprise Government U-turn.
A full meeting of Welwyn Hatfield Council has been arranged for 7pm at Campus West, WGC, after housing minister Margaret Beckett announced the Government would be providing funds to help councils cut rent increases for tenants.
It means the average rent increases in England will be halved from 6.2 per cent to 3.1 per cent.
But councillors are furious that the revised rents came at the 11th hour.
You may also want to watch:
The council agreed a rise of 6.7 per cent back in January, and last week leader John Dean claimed the administrative cost of writing to tenants to inform them of the change could cost as much as �50,000.
- 1 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 2 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Free gift card when you park in Welwyn Garden City this summer
- 5 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 6 Roll up! Roll up! Hatfield goes to the circus!
- 7 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 8 Hollywood in Hertfordshire: 17 film stars and movie directors who have visited Welwyn Hatfield
- 9 Youngsters playing their part as Welwyn Garden City look to continue punching above their weight
- 10 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed