Mavericks star set to make 100th England appearance
AN international netball star who plays for a Hatfield-based team is on the verge of making her 100th appearance for England. Karen Atkinson captains Co-operative Netball Superleague champions Mavericks, who play their home games at the Hertfordshire Spor
AN international netball star who plays for a Hatfield-based team is on the verge of making her 100th appearance for England.
Karen Atkinson captains Co-operative Netball Superleague champions Mavericks, who play their home games at the Hertfordshire Sports Village.
And tonight (Thursday) she is set to reach a century of caps for her country.
England take on Jamaica this evening in Nottingham in the final meeting of a three-match test series.
The host nation has won the previous two encounters against the Sunshine Girls, so has already claimed a series victory.
No doubt Atkinson will want to make it a whitewash to mark her landmark game in style.
- 1 Primary school drops to 'inadequate' Ofsted rating five years after 'Good' score
- 2 Older woman assaulted in Welwyn Garden City
- 3 'Best headteacher' leaves Hatfield school
- 4 QEII Hospital to receive million pound investment
- 5 From Welwyn Garden City to Colorado: The long-distance fiancées fundraising for a UK visa
- 6 Where you can get a walk-in booster or vaccine this weekend
- 7 Hatfield man faces murder charge
- 8 Hatfield to get new pub following £9 million investment
- 9 Planning inquiry to determine quarry plans for Hatfield Aerodrome closes
- 10 MP Oliver Dowden reacts to Downing Street 'party'
Speaking to the WHT, the England co-captain revealed what it would mean to her to reach a century of England caps.
She said: "It just would be an amazing achievement.
"If you speak to my family none of us ever expected that I'd ever get a cap.
"You never presume somebody will be selected for England and then be able to play for the senior team so that was pretty special.
"Then to still being around to make it 100 caps I'm sure some of my family can't believe it, but they will believe it when they see it.