Mavericks star set to make 100th England appearance
AN international netball star who plays for a Hatfield-based team is on the verge of making her 100th appearance for England. Karen Atkinson captains Co-operative Netball Superleague champions Mavericks, who play their home games at the Hertfordshire Spor
AN international netball star who plays for a Hatfield-based team is on the verge of making her 100th appearance for England.
Karen Atkinson captains Co-operative Netball Superleague champions Mavericks, who play their home games at the Hertfordshire Sports Village.
And tonight (Thursday) she is set to reach a century of caps for her country.
England take on Jamaica this evening in Nottingham in the final meeting of a three-match test series.
You may also want to watch:
The host nation has won the previous two encounters against the Sunshine Girls, so has already claimed a series victory.
No doubt Atkinson will want to make it a whitewash to mark her landmark game in style.
- 1 COVID-19: Welwyn Hatfield tops Hertfordshire for cases per 100,000
- 2 Mum-of-four loses six stone in just over a year after being unable to play with her youngest child
- 3 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 4 Coroner rules Joy Morgan death 'unlawful killing' but finds no cause at inquest
- 5 Closing the New QEII at night permanently still to be considered
- 6 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 7 'Horrific' abuser who 'showed no remorse' sentenced
- 8 COVID-19 outbreaks now in half of all Herts care homes
- 9 Bank becomes latest to be lost from town centre
- 10 Former Spitfire and Hurricane engineer celebrates 100th birthday
Speaking to the WHT, the England co-captain revealed what it would mean to her to reach a century of England caps.
She said: "It just would be an amazing achievement.
"If you speak to my family none of us ever expected that I'd ever get a cap.
"You never presume somebody will be selected for England and then be able to play for the senior team so that was pretty special.
"Then to still being around to make it 100 caps I'm sure some of my family can't believe it, but they will believe it when they see it.