Mavericks star set to make 100th England appearance
AN international netball star who plays for a Hatfield-based team is on the verge of making her 100th appearance for England. Karen Atkinson captains Co-operative Netball Superleague champions Mavericks, who play their home games at the Hertfordshire Spor
AN international netball star who plays for a Hatfield-based team is on the verge of making her 100th appearance for England.
Karen Atkinson captains Co-operative Netball Superleague champions Mavericks, who play their home games at the Hertfordshire Sports Village.
And tonight (Thursday) she is set to reach a century of caps for her country.
England take on Jamaica this evening in Nottingham in the final meeting of a three-match test series.
The host nation has won the previous two encounters against the Sunshine Girls, so has already claimed a series victory.
No doubt Atkinson will want to make it a whitewash to mark her landmark game in style.
- 1 'Garden thieves' caught on camera in Welwyn
- 2 Welwyn Garden City school earns prestigious development award
- 3 TfL removes over 100 London buses after EV blaze in Potters Bar
- 4 Spectacular Grade II listed home near Hatfield on the market for £3m
- 5 Tournament's return brings huge joy to Welwyn Garden City Youth Football Club
- 6 Mother and daughter from WGC team up to offer food packages to struggling locals
- 7 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 8 Fifteen-year-old boy hospitalised after reported stabbing in Hatfield
- 9 Toyota drove ‘erratically’ during suspected drug-fuelled trip in Hatfield
- 10 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
Speaking to the WHT, the England co-captain revealed what it would mean to her to reach a century of England caps.
She said: "It just would be an amazing achievement.
"If you speak to my family none of us ever expected that I'd ever get a cap.
"You never presume somebody will be selected for England and then be able to play for the senior team so that was pretty special.
"Then to still being around to make it 100 caps I'm sure some of my family can't believe it, but they will believe it when they see it.