Martin Freeman says goodbye to Bilbo Baggins as Hobbit trilogy filming ends

PUBLISHED: 12:46 15 July 2013 | UPDATED: 14:21 15 July 2013

Martin Freeman says farewell to Hobbit Bilbo Baggins, (picture posted by director Peter Jackson on Facebook)

Martin Freeman says farewell to Hobbit Bilbo Baggins, (picture posted by director Peter Jackson on Facebook)

Archant

HOBBIT actor Martin Freeman bade farewell to the role of Bilbo Baggins last week.

On Friday the hit movie franchise’s director Peter Jackson posted a picture online, of Brookmans Park-based Freeman, who has finished filming his role as Bilbo in the new The Hobbit trilogy.

The Lord of the Rings prequels also featured Orlando Bloom and Cate Blanchett reprising their respective Elven roles of Legolas and Galadriel, as well as Benedict Cumberbatch as the voice of the dragon Smaug.

And Sir Ian McKellen returned as wizard Gandalf.

Freeman, who also appears in Simon Pegg movie The World’s End, missed the film’s world premiere due to filming his last scenes as the eponymous hobbit, in New Zealand.

On Facebook on Friday Peter Jackson wrote: “Tonight Martin Freeman finished his last shot as Bilbo Baggins.

“The end of an incredible two and a half years.

“I cannot imagine anyone else in this role - a character that Martin has nurtured and crafted with love and great skill.”

He added: “We have said goodbye to our elves, humans, wizards and now the hobbit.”

The second instalment of the second Middle Earth trilogy ‘The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug’, is due to open in cinemas across the UK on December 13.

It will be followed by the third movie of the franchise in December 2014.

• To Martin Freeman’s comments on the completion of another trilogy and more on The World’s End, buy this week’s Welwyn Hatfield Times, out on Wednesday.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists