Man rushed to burns unit after garage fireworks explosions

PUBLISHED: 09:25 22 October 2012 | UPDATED: 10:47 22 October 2012

A man was hospitalised after becoming ill at the wheel.

A man was hospitalised after becoming ill at the wheel.

Archant

A MAN was rushed to a specialist burns unit after he was injured by fireworks in a Welham Green garage yesterday, Sunday.

Paramedics were called to Dellsome Lane at 1.59am.

Crews from Letchworth and Welwyn Garden City attended the scene.

Ambulance service spokesman Gary Sanderson said: “We believe the man was inside a garage where the fireworks were stored when they ignited.

“The man wasn’t able to free himself due to dense smoke and the fireworks were rebounding of the walls onto him.

“The man was eventually saved by his friends who led him to safety and called for an ambulance.

Gary added: “This incident has highlighted how dangerous fireworks can be, and I strongly advise anyone who is buying fireworks to adhere to the safety warnings of how to use and store them correctly.”

The man in his 30s was initially taken to the Lister Hospital in Stevenage.

He was later transferred to the Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford at 7.18am by EEAST for further specialist care.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times