Man killed in Welwyn Garden City road crash
A DRIVER of a milk transit van was killed when his vehicle hit Digswell Viaduct.
The accident involving the Ford Transit happened on the A1000 Bessemer Road, in WGC, at 10.40pm last night (Tuesday).
The vehicle was travelling in the direction of the Mundells and was in collision with the right hand side of the mainline railway viaduct
A police spokeswoman said the driver, a 43-year-old man from Hitchin, was trapped when they arrived at the scene.
He was then taken to the QE2 Hospital with serious injuries and later died.
You may also want to watch:
Two fire crews from WGC attended the accident and used cutting equipment to cut free the man.
Ambulance service spokesman Gary Sanderson said: “First and foremost our thoughts are firmly with his family and friends at this tragic time.”
- 1 'Confusion of legal status' sees public path fenced off
- 2 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 3 Drug dealer sentenced to more than five years in prison
- 4 'We must act now' - villagers in renewed fight to save pub
- 5 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 6 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
- 7 Fundraiser bakes 100 cookies to support NHS and carers as part of Captain Tom challenge
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Michael Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys on BBC Two visits Hertfordshire this week
- 10 Drug trafficker guilty of 'cruel and tragic' Cameron Hill murder
“Paramedics and firefighters worked very hard at the scene to treat and stabilise the man before he was conveyed to the QE2 Hospital.”
PC Ian Breacher, serious traffic incident investigator, said: “This is a tragic incident where a man had sadly lost his life. I am appealing for anyone who was in the area and saw the incident at the time to get in contact with police as soon as possible via the non-emergency number 0845 33 00 222.”