Man killed by train at Welwyn Garden City
PUBLISHED: 13:48 16 September 2014 | UPDATED: 13:51 16 September 2014
A man died on the tracks at Welwyn Garden City Rail Station this morning (Tuesday).
A British Transport Police (BTP) spokesman said: “Our officers were called to Welwyn Garden City station shortly before 9.30am on Tuesday, September 16 after reports that a person had been struck by a train.
“Officers from Hertfordshire Constabulary also attended alongside colleagues from East of England Ambulance Service and a man was pronounced dead at the scene.
“The incident is currently not being treated as suspicious and a file will be prepared for the coroner.
He added: “Officers are currently working to identify the man and inform his family.”
A spokeswoman for GTR, which runs services from the station, said: “At 9.32am today an East Coast train hit a person at Welwyn Garden City.
“All lines were temporarily blocked while emergency services attended the scene.
“We arranged for our passengers to be able to use their tickets on London Underground.
“All lines were reopened at 10:40. We would like to apologise for any inconvenience experienced by our passengers this morning.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.