Man arrested after serious road crash
A MAN was arrested on suspicion of GBH following a traffic collision in which a pedestrian suffered serious injuries.
The 51-year-old victim received a head injury and a suspected fractured leg in the crash, which involved a white van.
The collision took place on the Travellers Lane industrial estate, in Welham Green, at around 2pm on Friday, April 9.
Paramedics treated the injured man at the scene for around an hour, before ferrying him to the QE2 Hospital in WGC.
His injuries at the time were described as “serious, but not life-threatening”, however, his condition has since improved to stable.
You may also want to watch:
The incident took place close to the junction between Travellers Lane and Dixons Hill Road.
Police officers cordoned off Travellers Lane for around an hour causing traffic chaos as lorries heading for the industrial estate backed up along Dixons Hill Road.
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 3 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 4 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 5 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 6 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 7 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 8 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 9 Primary school receives award for excellence in science education
- 10 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
The Welwyn Hatfield Times received reports that two men were seen fighting beforehand, in an apparent disagreement involving scrap metal.
A resident said: “I heard it was over a copper tank.”
Another added: “I heard one of them had a baseball bat and the other had a sword.”
A police spokeswoman said officers were aware of a “verbal altercation” between two men prior to the accident and appealed for any witnesses to get in touch.
If you can help, call Pc David Richards, investigating, on 0845 33 00 222
Following the collision, a 23-year-old man from St Albans was arrested at the scene on suspicion of causing GBH.
He was questioned and subsequently released on police bail until next month.