Man arrested after serious road crash
A MAN was arrested on suspicion of GBH following a traffic collision in which a pedestrian suffered serious injuries.
The 51-year-old victim received a head injury and a suspected fractured leg in the crash, which involved a white van.
The collision took place on the Travellers Lane industrial estate, in Welham Green, at around 2pm on Friday, April 9.
Paramedics treated the injured man at the scene for around an hour, before ferrying him to the QE2 Hospital in WGC.
His injuries at the time were described as “serious, but not life-threatening”, however, his condition has since improved to stable.
You may also want to watch:
The incident took place close to the junction between Travellers Lane and Dixons Hill Road.
Police officers cordoned off Travellers Lane for around an hour causing traffic chaos as lorries heading for the industrial estate backed up along Dixons Hill Road.
- 1 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 2 What time will the election results come in?
- 3 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 4 Full list of Welwyn Hatfield results for Local Elections 2021
- 5 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
- 6 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 7 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
- 8 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 9 'Much harder this time around' - Father of three fighting cancer for second time in two years
- 10 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
The Welwyn Hatfield Times received reports that two men were seen fighting beforehand, in an apparent disagreement involving scrap metal.
A resident said: “I heard it was over a copper tank.”
Another added: “I heard one of them had a baseball bat and the other had a sword.”
A police spokeswoman said officers were aware of a “verbal altercation” between two men prior to the accident and appealed for any witnesses to get in touch.
If you can help, call Pc David Richards, investigating, on 0845 33 00 222
Following the collision, a 23-year-old man from St Albans was arrested at the scene on suspicion of causing GBH.
He was questioned and subsequently released on police bail until next month.