Major incident at Welwyn Garden City hospital
A MAJOR incident was declared at the QE2 Hospital last night and the Accident and Emergency department closed to blue light ambulances.
The announcement was made due to a power cut at the WGC hospital which meant back-up generators were needed yesterday (Wednesday).
Hospital spokesman Peter Gibson said: “The parts of the hospital affected were its intensive care unit, parts of a ward and the QE2’s radiology service.
“The power problems also affected the main lift systems, including those used for moving patients around the hospital.
“All of the clinical areas affected were switched rapidly to the hospital’s back-up electricity supply.
You may also want to watch:
“This ensured that the care of patients was not affected, although the lifts remained out of action for safety reasons.”
Following discussions between the East and North Herts NHS Trust, the local primary care trust and ambulance service, it was agreed that a major incident should be declared.
- 1 'Almost double the population' - Plans unveiled for two adjacent festivals at the same time
- 2 F9: Filming locations of Vin Diesel's new Fast & Furious 9 movie
- 3 Deal signed with construction firm for old Shredded Wheat factory
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 6 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 7 Re-appeal launched after driver arrested and pedestrian hospitalised following crash
- 8 Frank Turner added to revised Slam Dunk Festival 2021 line-up set for Hatfield
- 9 'It means the world' - lucky Postcode Lottery winners scoop £180,000 prize
- 10 Woody & Kleiny release Euros single Route 66 with The Hoosiers for charity CALM
This decision enabled blue light ambulances to be diverted to nearby hospitals.
Mr Gibson said: “This action was taken because of the potential risk posed to patients who might arrive at the QE2’s A&E requiring rapid transfer to and between the hospital’s operating theatres and intensive care unit when the lifts could not be used.
“These arrangements were stood down following the resolution of the electricity supply problems by the Trust’s engineers.
“The QE2 was taken off major incident status at midnight on January 5.”