Luton Town fan Fred’s 90th birthday surprise
BEING a Luton Town fan certainly has its fair share of ups and downs.
OK, admittedly more downs than ups, but – speaking as one myself – long-suffering fans of the Hatters are there through thick and thin.
One supporter who has seen more than most is Fred Young.
For the WGC man has followed the club home and away for the past seven decades.
And to celebrate his 90th birthday last weekend, his family had a surprise treat in store for him – a behind-the-scenes meet with the players and the chance to watch a game from the comfort of an executive box.
You may also want to watch:
Fred, a great-great-grandfather, told the Welwyn Hatfield Times: “I had a feeling they were planning something when we got to Luton and an executive box was mentioned.
“I was taken into the dressing room and introduced to the players, and met the manager and had my photo taken with them.
- 1 Full list of Welwyn Hatfield results for Local Elections 2021
- 2 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 3 Billy Joe Saunders v Saul Canelo Alvarez - as it happened
- 4 5 venues and leisure attractions that can reopen from Monday, May 17
- 5 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 6 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 7 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 8 Four councillors elected to South Mimms Parish Council
- 9 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
- 10 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
“It was a big surprise and I didn’t expect all that!”
The surprises didn’t end there. Fred then got his hands on the club’s coveted silverware – the Littlewoods Cup, won in 1988, and the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy, won last season – before meeting TV presenter Nick Owen, who is Luton’s chairman.
Unfortunately, the Hatters couldn’t cap a perfect birthday for Fred, losing 3-2 in their Blue Square Premier League clash to Ebbsfleet United.
“I had a nice day but unfortunately the result wasn’t the right one,” Fred, of Knella Road, added.
There’s more about Fred’s Luton Town memories in this week’s Welwyn Hatfield Times.