Lottery windfall for Potters Bar women
IF you've ever played the lottery, you will be familiar with the phrase 'it could be you'. Well, for a women's organisation in Potters Bar, it was. Oakmere Women's Institute has been awarded a grant of �9,705 from the National Lottery's Awards For All sch
IF you've ever played the lottery, you will be familiar with the phrase "it could be you".
Well, for a women's organisation in Potters Bar, it was.
Oakmere Women's Institute has been awarded a grant of �9,705 from the National Lottery's Awards For All scheme.
The programme gives grants of anything up to �10,000 to projects that promote education, the environment and health in a local community.
The group will spend the cash on visits to Denman College, the WI's adult educational facility near Oxford, and a trip to a National Trust property.
The grant will also be used to educate non computer literate members on how to use the internet.
- 1 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 2 Suspected stabbing in Welwyn Garden City
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 5 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
- 6 Purse stolen from 74-year-old woman
- 7 County lines drug runners jailed after undercover police sting
- 8 Meet the authors behind a new architecture book on Welwyn and Welwyn Garden City
- 9 Where can you get a walk-in booster in Welwyn Hatfield this week?
- 10 County lines drug dealer jailed for more than seven years
Rosemary Barry, president of Oakmere WI, said: “The money means we can provide more education for our members, including a laptop to help make some of our members more confident in front of a computer.”
Mrs Barry said the WI was always looking for new members, and stressed that age was not important.
“We are a friendly and non-clique WI. We try to make every meeting interesting. Any young people wishing to join are welcome. I joined the WI when I was 28, the institute does not necessarily have to be for older women.”
Oakmere WI is looking to recruit new members to the organisation. The group meets on the second Thursday of every month at Tilbury Hall, Darkes Lane from 7.45pm to 10pm.
For more information, call Rosemary on 01707 645482.