Long-serving Welwyn brownie leader remembered
A MUCH-LOVED brownie leader from Welwyn has died, aged 79. Iris Joyce Thorogood lived and worked in the village for more than half a century prior to her death from heart disease on September 11. An only child, Iris was born in
A "MUCH-LOVED" brownie leader from Welwyn has died, aged 79.
Iris Joyce Thorogood lived and worked in the village for more than half a century prior to her death from heart disease on September 11.
An only child, Iris was born in St Albans in 1930.
She attended grammar school before taking up an office job with WH Smith.
You may also want to watch:
Later she worked for Eversheds and Fine Fare, before marrying fianc� Ken Thorogood in 1956.
After they were wed, the couple moved briefly to Codicote Road in Welwyn, before setting up home in nearby London Road.
- 1 'We were only open 20 days before the first lockdown' - First time restaurant owner optimistic after difficult first year
- 2 Ocado opens new development centre, creating 100 new jobs
- 3 Social club 'blown away' by community support while closed for extended period
- 4 May 17: Pub ready for reopening after £440k refurbishment
- 5 Search continues for missing Stevenage man
- 6 Top gear! Supercars drive into Knebworth for Petrolheadonism event
- 7 Weight lifted as Slimming World classes return as COVID-19 restrictions ease
- 8 Students protest and parents call for change after 'lack of action' on racism
- 9 Proposal to turn B&Q into 151 flats
- 10 Delight for Hatfield Swim Centre as lockdown easing sees group classes return
Here they brought up their daughters Ruth and Joy together before Ken's untimely death at the age of just 47.
Following her loss, Iris immersed herself into village life and spent 25 years as a brownie leader at Welwyn Evangelical Church.
A committed Christian, she also helped out with the church's mother and toddlers group.
Paying tribute to her mum, Joy said: "Iris was a much-loved member of the Welwyn community and the village will remember her for kindness for years to come."
As well as her daughters, Iris is survived six grand-children and one great grandson.
Her funeral service took place at Welwyn Evangelical Church, in Fulling Mill Lane, on Thursday.