Long-serving Welwyn brownie leader remembered
A MUCH-LOVED brownie leader from Welwyn has died, aged 79. Iris Joyce Thorogood lived and worked in the village for more than half a century prior to her death from heart disease on September 11. An only child, Iris was born in
A "MUCH-LOVED" brownie leader from Welwyn has died, aged 79.
Iris Joyce Thorogood lived and worked in the village for more than half a century prior to her death from heart disease on September 11.
An only child, Iris was born in St Albans in 1930.
She attended grammar school before taking up an office job with WH Smith.
You may also want to watch:
Later she worked for Eversheds and Fine Fare, before marrying fianc� Ken Thorogood in 1956.
After they were wed, the couple moved briefly to Codicote Road in Welwyn, before setting up home in nearby London Road.
- 1 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 2 Fireworks displays in Hertfordshire for Bonfire Night 2021
- 3 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 4 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 5 When do the clocks go back in 2021 and British Summer Time ends?
- 6 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 7 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 8 Residents and councillors react to Lloyds Bank closure
- 9 Explore Hertford Castle at free open day
- 10 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
Here they brought up their daughters Ruth and Joy together before Ken's untimely death at the age of just 47.
Following her loss, Iris immersed herself into village life and spent 25 years as a brownie leader at Welwyn Evangelical Church.
A committed Christian, she also helped out with the church's mother and toddlers group.
Paying tribute to her mum, Joy said: "Iris was a much-loved member of the Welwyn community and the village will remember her for kindness for years to come."
As well as her daughters, Iris is survived six grand-children and one great grandson.
Her funeral service took place at Welwyn Evangelical Church, in Fulling Mill Lane, on Thursday.