Long-serving Welwyn brownie leader remembered
A MUCH-LOVED brownie leader from Welwyn has died, aged 79. Iris Joyce Thorogood lived and worked in the village for more than half a century prior to her death from heart disease on September 11. An only child, Iris was born in
A "MUCH-LOVED" brownie leader from Welwyn has died, aged 79.
Iris Joyce Thorogood lived and worked in the village for more than half a century prior to her death from heart disease on September 11.
An only child, Iris was born in St Albans in 1930.
She attended grammar school before taking up an office job with WH Smith.
You may also want to watch:
Later she worked for Eversheds and Fine Fare, before marrying fianc� Ken Thorogood in 1956.
After they were wed, the couple moved briefly to Codicote Road in Welwyn, before setting up home in nearby London Road.
- 1 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 4 Welwyn nursery manager meets Boris Johnson at Downing Street reception
- 5 Grant Shapps 'completely opposed' to closure of QEII Urgent Care Centre at night
- 6 Young girl ‘shaken’ after phone placed under toilet cubicle
- 7 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 8 Henry Moore Foundation in Hertfordshire appears in new Fake or Fortune? series on BBC One
- 9 Unanimous vote to close overnight service at Welwyn Garden City Urgent Care Centre
- 10 New free live music event set for Hertford Castle's grounds
Here they brought up their daughters Ruth and Joy together before Ken's untimely death at the age of just 47.
Following her loss, Iris immersed herself into village life and spent 25 years as a brownie leader at Welwyn Evangelical Church.
A committed Christian, she also helped out with the church's mother and toddlers group.
Paying tribute to her mum, Joy said: "Iris was a much-loved member of the Welwyn community and the village will remember her for kindness for years to come."
As well as her daughters, Iris is survived six grand-children and one great grandson.
Her funeral service took place at Welwyn Evangelical Church, in Fulling Mill Lane, on Thursday.