Long-serving Welwyn brownie leader remembered
A MUCH-LOVED brownie leader from Welwyn has died, aged 79. Iris Joyce Thorogood lived and worked in the village for more than half a century prior to her death from heart disease on September 11. An only child, Iris was born in
A "MUCH-LOVED" brownie leader from Welwyn has died, aged 79.
Iris Joyce Thorogood lived and worked in the village for more than half a century prior to her death from heart disease on September 11.
An only child, Iris was born in St Albans in 1930.
She attended grammar school before taking up an office job with WH Smith.
You may also want to watch:
Later she worked for Eversheds and Fine Fare, before marrying fianc� Ken Thorogood in 1956.
After they were wed, the couple moved briefly to Codicote Road in Welwyn, before setting up home in nearby London Road.
- 1 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
- 2 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
- 3 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 4 COVID-19: Welwyn Hatfield tops Hertfordshire for cases per 100,000
- 5 Parked car leads to build up of waste, council claims
- 6 Golf club has dozens of buggy batteries stolen in one day
- 7 Local Plan: Inspector has concerns over why Green Belt sites were removed
- 8 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 9 Herts and West Essex boast highest vaccination figures in East of England
- 10 Principal reveals biggest challenges and successes during her time at Oaklands College
Here they brought up their daughters Ruth and Joy together before Ken's untimely death at the age of just 47.
Following her loss, Iris immersed herself into village life and spent 25 years as a brownie leader at Welwyn Evangelical Church.
A committed Christian, she also helped out with the church's mother and toddlers group.
Paying tribute to her mum, Joy said: "Iris was a much-loved member of the Welwyn community and the village will remember her for kindness for years to come."
As well as her daughters, Iris is survived six grand-children and one great grandson.
Her funeral service took place at Welwyn Evangelical Church, in Fulling Mill Lane, on Thursday.