Lifeguard praised for helping pensioner after road crash
PARAMEDICS have praised a quick-thinking lifeguard who helped a seriously injured pensioner following a car smash in Times Territory. Matt Roberts, from Moffats Lane, Brookmans Park, was one of the first to arrive at the scene of last month's accident, in
PARAMEDICS have praised a quick-thinking lifeguard who helped a seriously injured pensioner following a car smash in Times Territory.
Matt Roberts, from Moffats Lane, Brookmans Park, was one of the first to arrive at the scene of last month's accident, involving a red Citroen Picasso and a white Ford Transit van, on the A1000 Great North Road near the Swanley Bar junction.
Matt, 23, checked over the van driver before giving first aid to a man in his 70s who was trapped in the Citroen.
The emergency services soon arrived and the pensioner was airlifted to hospital in London, where he remains in a critical, but stable condition.
You may also want to watch:
Gary Sanderson manager for the East of England Ambulance Service, said: "The quick thinking and actions of Matt enabled our emergency operations centre in Bedford to allocate the appropriate resources to the scene.
"He also gave a precise update about the extent of the patients' injuries, which was really helpful for the responding crews."
- 1 'Confusion of legal status' sees public path fenced off
- 2 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 3 'We must act now' - villagers in renewed fight to save pub
- 4 Drug dealer sentenced to more than five years in prison
- 5 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 6 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
- 7 Fundraiser bakes 100 cookies to support NHS and carers as part of Captain Tom challenge
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Michael Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys on BBC Two visits Hertfordshire this week
- 10 Drug trafficker guilty of 'cruel and tragic' Cameron Hill murder
When asked if he felt he had helped save the pensioner's life, a modest Matt, who works at a leisure centre in Borehamwood said: "I would like to think so.
"The ambulance crews seemed to think that that was the case."
For more on this story, see this week's edition of the Welwyn & Hatfield Times.