Licence for Knebworth's Sonisphere music festival approved
LET'S rock! It s all systems go for the Sonisphere Festival at Knebworth House this summer. For the two-day music spectacular in August headlined by metal giants Metallica has had its licence approved. Festival organisers, Kilimanjaro Live Ltd, submitted
LET'S rock! It's all systems go for the Sonisphere Festival at Knebworth House this summer.
For the two-day music spectacular in August headlined by metal giants Metallica has had its licence approved.
Festival organisers, Kilimanjaro Live Ltd, submitted the application to North Herts District Council (NHDC) for the festival and for future years of the event.
It included plans for traffic management around the estate over the course of the weekend, noise control and crime prevention.
You may also want to watch:
No residents objected to the application during a 28-day period, so NHDC granted the licence.
Martha Lytton Cobbold, managing director of Lytton Enterprises, said: "We are so pleased.
- 1 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
- 2 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 3 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 4 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 5 Football fanatic honoured with FA award for services to grassroots game
- 6 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 7 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 9 Grant Shapps 'completely opposed' to closure of QEII Urgent Care Centre at night
- 10 Unanimous vote to close overnight service at Welwyn Garden City Urgent Care Centre
"The promoters have worked closely with us and the local authorities to create an enjoyable, safe and well-run festival.
"It is a brilliant event for the region, offers an exciting and world-recognisable line-up for the event calendar, and will provide a much-needed economic boost to the region."
She added that businesses in Herts will benefit from the event, with doors to the campsite opening on Thursday, July 30 and closing on Monday, August 3.
"We always offer local supplier lists and employment agencies to event organisers - Sonisphere will offer fantastic opportunities."
The UK leg of the touring Sonisphere Festival will once again establish Knebworth House as one of the few truly great outdoor music venues.
Queen, Led Zeppelin, Oasis and Robbie Williams have all played the legendary site over the years.
Nu-metal favourites Linkin Park will headline the opening day of Sonisphere, with metal legends Metallica playing a full two-hour set to close the festival on the Sunday night.
Others on the Knebworth bill include American industrial rockers Nine Inch Nails, Welsh bands Bullet For My Valentine and Feeder, Irish legends Thin Lizzy, grunge gods Alice In Chains and American rock group Taking Back Sunday.
* See next Wednesday's WHT for details of how to win tickets for Sonisphere.