Lib Dem county councillor for Welwyn Garden City says to ‘vote tactically’
- Credit: Archant
Tactical voting in next month’s General Election has been advocated by a Liberal Democrat county councillor who represents Welwyn Garden City.
Posting on social media platform Twitter, Herts county councillor Nigel Quinton said he would use GetVoting.org and calls on other remainers to place their vote in the tool's hands on December 12.
The GetVoting page says for a pro-European win in Welwyn Hatfield then your best bet is a vote for the Labour Party in the 2019 General Election - but Cllr Quinton claims that the analysis does not mean voting for Labour.
"Look at the analysis. Labour and Lib Dem are neck and neck, there is nothing to be gained voting Labour," he said.
"And the momentum in recent elections here is towards the Lib Dems.
You may also want to watch:
"So if you want to stop Brexit, then vote Lib Dem!"
Fellow Lib Dem county councillor Paul Zukowskyj, who is also a borough councillor and parliamentary candidate for Welwyn Hatfield, said he thinks the tactical voting website has got it wrong given his party's performance in the 2019 local and European elections.
- 1 Upgrades to key shopping street will leave town 'well-placed' for future
- 2 Icy weather continues to suspend bin collections
- 3 Police disperse large group near the university
- 4 Isabel Hospice closed to new admissions due to staff sickness
- 5 More than 15 social housing homes open at £6.7 million development
- 6 Post delayed due to staff self-isolating at Royal Mail
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 'We need to be heard and treated fairly' – dog groomers demand after not receiving COVID grant
- 9 COVID-19: Cases fall by hundreds but still above national average
- 10 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
"One thing is that there has been quite a period [between 2017] and now," he said.
Cllr Zukowskyj added he hoped Cllr Quinton was not advocating tactical voting as a Lib Dem county councillor.