Lib Dems fail in bid to exclude Hatfield incinerator site
COUNTY councillors have rejected a motion asking them to throw out plans to build an incinerator next to a special needs school in Hatfield. The motion, proposed by Lib Dem county councillor Malcolm Cowan, asked the authority to
COUNTY councillors have rejected a motion asking them to throw out plans to build an incinerator next to a special needs school in Hatfield.
The motion, proposed by Lib Dem county councillor Malcolm Cowan, asked the authority to exclude New Barnfield, in Travellers Lane, from its list of potential sites for an incinerator.
But with its large majority, the ruling Conservative group was able to defeat the motion by 47 votes to 20.
Speaking after the vote, Cllr Cowan, who represents Handside and Peartree on the council, said: "Yet again the Conservatives at County Hall have demonstrated they care less about disadvantaged children than they do about toeing the party line.
You may also want to watch:
"Even local Conservatives, such as Cllr Clare Berry, spoke against the motion."
Cllr Berry, who represents Hatfield North, confirmed she had spoken against Cllr Cowan's motion.
- 1 Headteacher 'very proud' of 'healthy and balanced' free school meal hampers
- 2 Police appeal for public information after puppy found dead on A414
- 3 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 4 GP practice vaccinated 1,000 people in first week
- 5 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 6 Knife reportedly used to rob man in his 20s outside Co-op ATM
- 7 Party organiser fined £10,000 after 150 people attend gathering
- 8 Two people rescued after flood warnings issued
- 9 Scammer pretending to be a police officer stole thousands from 99-year-old man
- 10 New car park proposed for park
But she added she would fight "tooth and nail" to prevent an incinerator being built at New Barnfield if it could be proved it would have a detrimental effect on the area.
However, this cut no ice with Welwyn Hatfield Lib Dem parliamentary candidate Paul Zukowskyj.
He said: "We are still facing massed Conservative commitment to see the New Barnfield incinerator go ahead.
"Even local councillors from Welwyn Hatfield have refused to join their own MP's campaign against the plan, just months after he endorsed them as councillors to the public.
"I don't honestly know how they can look their constituents and neighbours in the eye after supporting this barmy plan against their own MP.