Lib Dems fail in bid to exclude Hatfield incinerator site
COUNTY councillors have rejected a motion asking them to throw out plans to build an incinerator next to a special needs school in Hatfield. The motion, proposed by Lib Dem county councillor Malcolm Cowan, asked the authority to
COUNTY councillors have rejected a motion asking them to throw out plans to build an incinerator next to a special needs school in Hatfield.
The motion, proposed by Lib Dem county councillor Malcolm Cowan, asked the authority to exclude New Barnfield, in Travellers Lane, from its list of potential sites for an incinerator.
But with its large majority, the ruling Conservative group was able to defeat the motion by 47 votes to 20.
Speaking after the vote, Cllr Cowan, who represents Handside and Peartree on the council, said: "Yet again the Conservatives at County Hall have demonstrated they care less about disadvantaged children than they do about toeing the party line.
You may also want to watch:
"Even local Conservatives, such as Cllr Clare Berry, spoke against the motion."
Cllr Berry, who represents Hatfield North, confirmed she had spoken against Cllr Cowan's motion.
- 1 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
- 2 How was womanising Hatfield policeman allowed to work promoting female safety?
- 3 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 6 Congratulations! See Sir Cliff Richard's The Great 80 Tour live in cinemas
- 7 Woman verbally abused and threatened at petrol station
- 8 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 9 Welwyn Garden City battle adversity to win at Didcot Town
- 10 9 huge shows and music festivals to look forward to in Hertfordshire in 2022
But she added she would fight "tooth and nail" to prevent an incinerator being built at New Barnfield if it could be proved it would have a detrimental effect on the area.
However, this cut no ice with Welwyn Hatfield Lib Dem parliamentary candidate Paul Zukowskyj.
He said: "We are still facing massed Conservative commitment to see the New Barnfield incinerator go ahead.
"Even local councillors from Welwyn Hatfield have refused to join their own MP's campaign against the plan, just months after he endorsed them as councillors to the public.
"I don't honestly know how they can look their constituents and neighbours in the eye after supporting this barmy plan against their own MP.