Lib Dems fail in bid to exclude Hatfield incinerator site
COUNTY councillors have rejected a motion asking them to throw out plans to build an incinerator next to a special needs school in Hatfield. The motion, proposed by Lib Dem county councillor Malcolm Cowan, asked the authority to
COUNTY councillors have rejected a motion asking them to throw out plans to build an incinerator next to a special needs school in Hatfield.
The motion, proposed by Lib Dem county councillor Malcolm Cowan, asked the authority to exclude New Barnfield, in Travellers Lane, from its list of potential sites for an incinerator.
But with its large majority, the ruling Conservative group was able to defeat the motion by 47 votes to 20.
Speaking after the vote, Cllr Cowan, who represents Handside and Peartree on the council, said: "Yet again the Conservatives at County Hall have demonstrated they care less about disadvantaged children than they do about toeing the party line.
You may also want to watch:
"Even local Conservatives, such as Cllr Clare Berry, spoke against the motion."
Cllr Berry, who represents Hatfield North, confirmed she had spoken against Cllr Cowan's motion.
- 1 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
- 2 'Much harder this time around' - Father of three fighting cancer for second time in two years
- 3 Drug dealer sentenced to more than five years in prison
- 4 'Confusion of legal status' sees public path fenced off
- 5 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
- 6 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 7 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 8 'We must act now' - villagers in renewed fight to save pub
- 9 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 10 Man found with head injuries following assault
But she added she would fight "tooth and nail" to prevent an incinerator being built at New Barnfield if it could be proved it would have a detrimental effect on the area.
However, this cut no ice with Welwyn Hatfield Lib Dem parliamentary candidate Paul Zukowskyj.
He said: "We are still facing massed Conservative commitment to see the New Barnfield incinerator go ahead.
"Even local councillors from Welwyn Hatfield have refused to join their own MP's campaign against the plan, just months after he endorsed them as councillors to the public.
"I don't honestly know how they can look their constituents and neighbours in the eye after supporting this barmy plan against their own MP.