Learning all about vegetables
YOUNGSTERS from around the area took part in National Allotment Week. At Willows Farm, in London Colney near Hatfield, some took part by helping harvest the farm s Growing Patch allotment. Children, aged from five to nine, learned about planting
YOUNGSTERS from around the area took part in National Allotment Week.
At Willows Farm, in London Colney near Hatfield, some took part by helping harvest the farm's 'Growing Patch' allotment.
Children, aged from five to nine, learned about planting vegetables, from how to prepare the ground and sow seeds, to looking after the plants, weeding, harvesting and cooking them.
They then had a go at harvesting their own vegetables from the plot, and packed them to take home and cook.
You may also want to watch:
National Allotment Week was promoted by the National Allotment Gardens Trust in partnership with the National Society of Allotment and Leisure Gardeners. The initiative aims to promote awareness of allotments, both locally and nationally.
Anna Wolfe, farmer at Willows, said: "The Growing Patch at Willows has always been popular with visitors and events like this allow children to learn about where their food comes from. So many children only see vegetables from a supermarket and they aren't always aware they can come in all sorts of odd shapes and sizes, and still taste fantastic.
- 1 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
- 2 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
- 3 Which Herts communities have seen the biggest rises and falls in COVID-19?
- 4 Parked car leads to build up of waste, council claims
- 5 Significantly higher number of fines and warnings for COVID-19 rule breakers in Welwyn Hatfield than nearby areas
- 6 COVID-19: Welwyn Hatfield tops Hertfordshire for cases per 100,000
- 7 Golf club has dozens of buggy batteries stolen in one day
- 8 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 9 Will Bridgerton return to Hertfordshire for season two?
- 10 Principal reveals biggest challenges and successes during her time at Oaklands College
"The children enjoyed harvesting the vegetables and many now want to try and grow their own in future. I hope they enjoy eating the benefits of their hard work at home."
For a full programme of summer events and activities at Willows Farm visit www.willowsfarmvillage.com or call 0870 129 9718.