Learning all about vegetables
YOUNGSTERS from around the area took part in National Allotment Week. At Willows Farm, in London Colney near Hatfield, some took part by helping harvest the farm s Growing Patch allotment. Children, aged from five to nine, learned about planting
YOUNGSTERS from around the area took part in National Allotment Week.
At Willows Farm, in London Colney near Hatfield, some took part by helping harvest the farm's 'Growing Patch' allotment.
Children, aged from five to nine, learned about planting vegetables, from how to prepare the ground and sow seeds, to looking after the plants, weeding, harvesting and cooking them.
They then had a go at harvesting their own vegetables from the plot, and packed them to take home and cook.
You may also want to watch:
National Allotment Week was promoted by the National Allotment Gardens Trust in partnership with the National Society of Allotment and Leisure Gardeners. The initiative aims to promote awareness of allotments, both locally and nationally.
Anna Wolfe, farmer at Willows, said: "The Growing Patch at Willows has always been popular with visitors and events like this allow children to learn about where their food comes from. So many children only see vegetables from a supermarket and they aren't always aware they can come in all sorts of odd shapes and sizes, and still taste fantastic.
- 1 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 2 Full list of Welwyn Hatfield results for Local Elections 2021
- 3 What time will the election results come in?
- 4 Billy Joe Saunders v Saul Canelo Alvarez - as it happened
- 5 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 6 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
- 7 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 8 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 9 5 venues and leisure attractions that can reopen from Monday, May 17
- 10 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
"The children enjoyed harvesting the vegetables and many now want to try and grow their own in future. I hope they enjoy eating the benefits of their hard work at home."
For a full programme of summer events and activities at Willows Farm visit www.willowsfarmvillage.com or call 0870 129 9718.