Last chance to sign up for Welwyn Hatfield Sleep Easy 2011
IT’S the big night tomorrow (Saturday), when some hardy souls from Welwyn Hatfield will bed down for the evening in the freezing cold – all in the name of charity.
The 2011 Sleep Easy event, organised by YMCA Central Herts, is being held in three locations across Hertfordshire, including two in Times Territory.
The fundraiser involves people being sponsored to sleep outside under cardboard for one night, highlighting the issue of homelessness and raising funds for the YMCA’s work in providing accommodation for vulnerable adults.
Last year’s event at the Galleria in Hatfield raised �15,000 for YMCA Central Herts, and was attended by former Strictly Come Dancing champion Camilla Dallerup and her fiance, Hollyoaks actor Kevin Sacre.
In a final push to get even more residents to sign up and beat last year’s amount, Welwyn Hatfield MP Grant Shapps visited the YMCA’s residential facility in Peartree Lane, WGC, to throw his support behind the event.
You may also want to watch:
The housing minister said: “Obviously keeping people off the streets is really important, and what the Sleep Easy does is highlight the problem.
“It’s really important people understand these problems are out there, and there are people trying to solve these problems.”
- 1 Murder-suicide investigation in Welwyn Garden City
- 2 YMCA overdose victims claim 'neglectful support service' at Welwyn Garden City facility
- 3 Five hospitalised after Hatfield dog attack
- 4 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 5 Arson attack on two cars in Hatfield street
- 6 First Slam Dunk Festival 2022 headliners announced for Hatfield Park
- 7 Nearly 30 Insulate Britain protestors arrested this morning
- 8 Bargains for shoppers at exclusive Hatfield Galleria VIP event
- 9 Ed Sheeran announces 2022 stadium tour: How to get tickets
- 10 M25 protesters could face prison after Government secures injunction
Organiser Joanne Hussain said: “The fact is those taking part in the Sleep Easy have the choice to sleep rough for one evening, whereas others are not so fortunate.
“Charities such as the YMCA work to bring people off the streets and help support them so that in time they can move into their own accommodation.
“We desperately need funds to do this, which is why we place such a great importance on charity events such as this.”
The Galleria will once again host an event, while another sleep-out will be held simultaneously outside the Howard Centre in WGC. A third will take place in Stevenage.
Registration costs �10 and includes hot drinks, cardboard for shelter and a hot breakfast.
To register, click on the link above or call 01707 290717.