Labour unveil candidate who will fight Grant Shapps
- Credit: Archant
The man Labour hope can knock Welwyn Hatfield MP Grant Shapps of his Parliamentary perch has been revealed.
Anawar Miah has been selected as the candidate by the Welwyn Hatfield Labour Party and will contest the seat against the Tory Party chairman in the 2015 General Election.
He said: “I am proud to have been selected by the party to be their candidate.
“It is an honour and a privilege to stand up for local residents and I hope to be able to take their voice into parliament.”
Last Sunday at its AGM Welwyn Hatfield Labour Party members voted for Mr Miah following a hustings.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Miah lives in Hatfield with his young family.
He said: “The fight begins now, I intend to get out there and meet as many residents and local organisations as possible before the general election, its vital that we show people there is an alternative to the failed policies of the Coalition government that have hit Welwyn Hatfield hard”
- 1 Upgrades to key shopping street will leave town 'well-placed' for future
- 2 Icy weather continues to suspend bin collections
- 3 Police disperse large group near the university
- 4 Post delayed due to staff self-isolating at Royal Mail
- 5 Isabel Hospice closed to new admissions due to staff sickness
- 6 More than 15 social housing homes open at £6.7 million development
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 COVID-19: Cases fall by hundreds but still above national average
- 9 'We need to be heard and treated fairly' – dog groomers demand after not receiving COVID grant
- 10 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
Leader of the Labour opposition group on Welwyn Hatfield Council Kieran Thorpe said: “I’m delighted the party has selected Anawar.
“I’m sure he will be a fantastic representative for all of Welwyn Hatfield and I look forward to working with him”