Knebworth villagers stage Help for Heroes ride
A FORMER soldier and a teacher will have an uphill battle on their hands when they cycle the length of the UK for charity.
Knebworth residents Darren Corbet and Steve Ryan have set themselves the gruelling challenge of riding more than 850 miles from Land’s End, Cornwall, to John O’Groats in Scotland.
Steve, a 50-year-old teacher, is an avid cyclist and suggested the idea to Darren, 45, who agreed on the basis that the money raised goes to Help for Heroes, a charity which supports injured soldiers.
Darren, who served 10 years in the Royal Engineers, said: “It started off as a bit of a joke as Steve didn’t think I would do it, but once Help for Heroes had been agreed as the charity it was settled.
“He said he would take care of the route and I’d do the fundraising and that was that!”
You may also want to watch:
The pair have been in training since November, completing bike rides of up to 140 miles to make sure they are in the right shape when they set off for real on August 2.
They have plenty to keep themselves busy though as they aim to reach their �5,000 target.
- 1 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 2 What time will the election results come in?
- 3 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 4 Full list of Welwyn Hatfield results for Local Elections 2021
- 5 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
- 6 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 7 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
- 8 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 9 'Much harder this time around' - Father of three fighting cancer for second time in two years
- 10 Michael Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys on BBC Two visits Hertfordshire this week
So far they have had lots of support from local businesses including Photon Imaging of Knebworth, which provided photos for free.
Knebworth-based A1(M) Van Hire has donated a vehicle for the 14-day trek so a volunteer can follow the two cyclists along the way, although they are still looking for a business willing to cover fuel costs.
Darren, of Stockens Green, added: “We have had a great response from people and local businesses. The generosity of everyone has been amazing.
“It’s really important we raise as much money as we can for the charity and if we can get somebody to help the fuel costs then it will ensure that 99 per cent of sponsorship will go directly to Help for Heroes.”
To sponsor the pair email firstname.lastname@example.org