Knebworth school campaigners hit back at critics
CAMPAIGNERS and residents who want to build a new school in Knebworth have hit back following a meeting in which their plans were roundly criticised. Parents in favour of the scheme have thrown their support behind Juliet Pomerance, the embattled leader
CAMPAIGNERS and residents who want to build a new school in Knebworth have hit back following a meeting in which their plans were roundly criticised.
Parents in favour of the scheme have thrown their support behind Juliet Pomerance, the embattled leader of the We Need A School Campaign, which proposes to build a secondary school and 200 new homes in Knebworth on 90 acres of Green Belt land.
And they've criticised some opponents of the campaign, saying they became "aggressive" at the recent Local Development Framework meeting of Knebworth Parish Council, and did not allow Ms Pomerance the chance to fully explain the purpose of the campaign and its aims.
The We Need A School campaign wants to build a school for children of secondary school age living in Knebworth and the surrounding villages of Woolmer Green, Oaklands, Datchworth and Codicote.
You may also want to watch:
But many residents oppose the scheme, arguing that the school would turn Knebworth from a village to a town, and that the project is a waste of money, with ample school provisions available in Stevenage already.
For more on this story, see this week's Welwyn & Hatfield Times, out now.
- 1 Closing the New QEII at night permanently still to be considered
- 2 COVID-19 deaths across Hertfordshire hit new milestone
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Exploring the challenges of being furloughed during lockdown
- 5 Who is Lady Danbury in new Netflix series Bridgerton?
- 6 Eight-year-old actress joins sister in the big screen as she stars in independent domestic abuse film
- 7 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 8 Former Spitfire and Hurricane engineer celebrates 100th birthday
- 9 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 10 When Spielberg and Tom Hanks came to Hatfield for filming