Knebworth man’s death blamed on corned beef sandwich
CONTAMINATED corned beef has been blamed for the death of a man after a rare bacterium entered his blood stream, in only the eighth recorded case of the illness worldwide.
Mitchell Carey, of Gun Road, Knebworth died on August 18 least year of multiple organ failure, brought about by necrotizing enterocolitis.
After eating a corned beef sandwich he began complaining of stomach pains on August 16 last year, the inquest in Hatfield heard today (Tuesday).
He went to hospital but was discharged after being given codeine to combat diarrhoea and drugs for his stomach cramps.
Later he was rushed to hospital again after vomiting and collapsing with very low blood pressure and later died of multi-organ failure.
You may also want to watch:
Gastroenterology specialist Dr Martin Carter, who works at the Lister Hospital, told the inquest: “I’ve never seen a case of clostridium perfringes in the blood in my entire medical career.”
Coroner Edward Thomas recorded a narrative verdict, and said: “Rarity creates sadness and unexpectedness.”
- 1 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 2 Fireworks displays in Hertfordshire for Bonfire Night 2021
- 3 Christmas event plans revealed for Welwyn Hatfield
- 4 Businesses to decide on future of Welwyn Garden City BID as renewal campaign gets underway
- 5 Councillor Steven Markiewicz dies from illness after 17 years of service
- 6 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 7 When do the clocks go back in 2021 and British Summer Time ends?
- 8 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 9 Charity golf day raises thousands for the Willow Foundation
- 10 Residents and councillors react to Lloyds Bank closure
Mr Carey, was the former son-in-law of ex-Arsenal and Scotland goalkeeper Bob Wilson.