Knebworth man’s death blamed on corned beef sandwich

CONTAMINATED corned beef has been blamed for the death of a man after a rare bacterium entered his blood stream, in only the eighth recorded case of the illness worldwide.

Mitchell Carey, of Gun Road, Knebworth died on August 18 least year of multiple organ failure, brought about by necrotizing enterocolitis.

After eating a corned beef sandwich he began complaining of stomach pains on August 16 last year, the inquest in Hatfield heard today (Tuesday).

He went to hospital but was discharged after being given codeine to combat diarrhoea and drugs for his stomach cramps.

Later he was rushed to hospital again after vomiting and collapsing with very low blood pressure and later died of multi-organ failure.


You may also want to watch:


Gastroenterology specialist Dr Martin Carter, who works at the Lister Hospital, told the inquest: “I’ve never seen a case of clostridium perfringes in the blood in my entire medical career.”

Coroner Edward Thomas recorded a narrative verdict, and said: “Rarity creates sadness and unexpectedness.”

Most Read

Mr Carey, was the former son-in-law of ex-Arsenal and Scotland goalkeeper Bob Wilson.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus