Knebworth man’s death blamed on corned beef sandwich
PUBLISHED: 16:34 01 February 2011 | UPDATED: 09:15 02 February 2011
CONTAMINATED corned beef has been blamed for the death of a man after a rare bacterium entered his blood stream, in only the eighth recorded case of the illness worldwide.
Mitchell Carey, of Gun Road, Knebworth died on August 18 least year of multiple organ failure, brought about by necrotizing enterocolitis.
After eating a corned beef sandwich he began complaining of stomach pains on August 16 last year, the inquest in Hatfield heard today (Tuesday).
He went to hospital but was discharged after being given codeine to combat diarrhoea and drugs for his stomach cramps.
Later he was rushed to hospital again after vomiting and collapsing with very low blood pressure and later died of multi-organ failure.
Gastroenterology specialist Dr Martin Carter, who works at the Lister Hospital, told the inquest: “I’ve never seen a case of clostridium perfringes in the blood in my entire medical career.”
Coroner Edward Thomas recorded a narrative verdict, and said: “Rarity creates sadness and unexpectedness.”
Mr Carey, was the former son-in-law of ex-Arsenal and Scotland goalkeeper Bob Wilson.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.