Kitchen gutted by fondue fire
FIREFIGHTERS are warning about the dangers of leaving cooking unattended after a blaze broke out in the kitchen of a village home.
Firefighters were called after a fondue pot, which had been left unattended, overheated and caught fire.
Crews from Hatfield, WGC and Potters Bar raced to the scene, in Kentish Lane, Brookmans Park, just after 9pm.
They used a hose reel to extinguish the flames, before ventilating the property using high pressure fans.
Firefighters also had to cut away part of the kitchen ceiling to check for any signs of the fire spreading.
You may also want to watch:
No-one was injured in the blaze.
Now a fire officer is warning residents about the dangers of leaving cooking unattended.
- 1 'Almost double the population' - Plans unveiled for two adjacent festivals at the same time
- 2 F9: Filming locations of Vin Diesel's new Fast & Furious 9 movie
- 3 Deal signed with construction firm for old Shredded Wheat factory
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 6 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 7 Re-appeal launched after driver arrested and pedestrian hospitalised following crash
- 8 Frank Turner added to revised Slam Dunk Festival 2021 line-up set for Hatfield
- 9 'It means the world' - lucky Postcode Lottery winners scoop £180,000 prize
- 10 Woody & Kleiny release Euros single Route 66 with The Hoosiers for charity CALM
Simon Dredge, a crew commander at Hatfield Fire Station, said: “The fire was caused by a pot of fondue which had been left on the cooker unattended. The fat from the fondue overheated and set on fire.
“Luckily, water was not put onto the fat fire, as this could have made the flames leap into the air and could have engulfed the entire kitchen.
“This incident brought an unfortunate early end to someone’s New Year’s Eve party, but thankfully no one was injured and the damage was contained to the kitchen.”
Mr Dredge said: “This highlights the dangers of leaving cooking unattended.
“I would urge residents not to deal with this kind of fire themselves and instead close the kitchen door to contain the fire, get out and call the fire service.
“Most importantly, check the battery on their smoke alarm and remember to test it every week.”