Ken Follett donates �100,000 to Ed Balls’ Labour leadership campaign
BEST-selling novelist and Old Knebworth resident Ken Follett has given �100,000 to Ed Balls’ campaign to become the next leader of the Labour Party.
Mr Follett, who lives with his wife, former Labour minister Barbara FollettKnebworth, helped Mr Balls collect �103,000 in July.
Leadership favourite David Miliband was given the most money, with nine contributions totalling more than �138,000.
His younger brother, former climate change secretary Ed, raised �46,450.
The other nominees are Andy Burnham who secured a gift of �10,000 from Liverpool footballer Jamie Carragher and Diane Abbott who did not register any donations in July.
You may also want to watch:
The new Labour leader will be unveiled at the party’s conference in Manchester next month.
- 1 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 Unanimous vote to close overnight service at Welwyn Garden City Urgent Care Centre
- 4 Welwyn nursery manager meets Boris Johnson at Downing Street reception
- 5 Grant Shapps 'completely opposed' to closure of QEII Urgent Care Centre at night
- 6 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield
- 7 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 Young girl ‘shaken’ after phone placed under toilet cubicle
- 9 New free live music event set for Hertford Castle's grounds
- 10 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays