Ken Follett donates �100,000 to Ed Balls’ Labour leadership campaign
BEST-selling novelist and Old Knebworth resident Ken Follett has given �100,000 to Ed Balls’ campaign to become the next leader of the Labour Party.
Mr Follett, who lives with his wife, former Labour minister Barbara FollettKnebworth, helped Mr Balls collect �103,000 in July.
Leadership favourite David Miliband was given the most money, with nine contributions totalling more than �138,000.
His younger brother, former climate change secretary Ed, raised �46,450.
The other nominees are Andy Burnham who secured a gift of �10,000 from Liverpool footballer Jamie Carragher and Diane Abbott who did not register any donations in July.
You may also want to watch:
The new Labour leader will be unveiled at the party’s conference in Manchester next month.
- 1 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
- 2 How was womanising Hatfield policeman allowed to work promoting female safety?
- 3 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 4 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Congratulations! See Sir Cliff Richard's The Great 80 Tour live in cinemas
- 7 Woman verbally abused and threatened at petrol station
- 8 9 huge shows and music festivals to look forward to in Hertfordshire in 2022
- 9 Welwyn Garden City battle adversity to win at Didcot Town
- 10 A giant of a show is coming to Welwyn Garden City as Campus West panto returns with Jack & the Beanstalk