Justice at last as Hatfield killer gets 27 years
AS murderer Richard Clare was sentenced to a minimum of 27 years behind bars for slitting his love rival’s throat, a second family were relieved to have “justice at last”.
Clare was found guilty of murdering Peter McConnell, wrapping him from head-to-toe in parcel tape and burying him in the garden of his Hatfield home.
Once the jury had returned its verdict, they were shocked to be told Clare was a double-killer.
The 38-year-old from Fern Dells had claimed self-defence in a previous trial six years earlier. He was found not guilty of both murder and manslaughter, despite admitting striking Timothy Magee with a dessert spoon in the back of the head, which caused a fatal bleed.
Timothy’s aunt Sue had been in court to hear Clare, 38, sentenced to life. Afterwards she told the WHT: “I’m so really pleased, we’ve got justice for Timmy as well.”
You may also want to watch:
Timmy’s mother Berenice Waite said she was pleased Clare had been given a long sentence.
She said: “Nothing will ever bring back Tim, but it would be nice for him to have justice. It’s a nice Christmas present I suppose.”
- 1 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 2 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Community reacts to closure of overnight Urgent Care Centre service at New QEII Hospital
- 6 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 7 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 8 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 9 Henry Moore Foundation in Hertfordshire appears in new Fake or Fortune? series on BBC One
- 10 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
The sister of murder victim Peter McConnell, who was due to celebrate his 44th birthday on Christmas Day, told the court Clare’s treatment of her brother had been horrific.
*For full murder trial report see this week’s Welwyn Hatfield Times.