Justice at last as Hatfield killer gets 27 years
AS murderer Richard Clare was sentenced to a minimum of 27 years behind bars for slitting his love rival’s throat, a second family were relieved to have “justice at last”.
Clare was found guilty of murdering Peter McConnell, wrapping him from head-to-toe in parcel tape and burying him in the garden of his Hatfield home.
Once the jury had returned its verdict, they were shocked to be told Clare was a double-killer.
The 38-year-old from Fern Dells had claimed self-defence in a previous trial six years earlier. He was found not guilty of both murder and manslaughter, despite admitting striking Timothy Magee with a dessert spoon in the back of the head, which caused a fatal bleed.
Timothy’s aunt Sue had been in court to hear Clare, 38, sentenced to life. Afterwards she told the WHT: “I’m so really pleased, we’ve got justice for Timmy as well.”
You may also want to watch:
Timmy’s mother Berenice Waite said she was pleased Clare had been given a long sentence.
She said: “Nothing will ever bring back Tim, but it would be nice for him to have justice. It’s a nice Christmas present I suppose.”
- 1 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
- 2 How was womanising Hatfield policeman allowed to work promoting female safety?
- 3 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 4 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 5 Congratulations! See Sir Cliff Richard's The Great 80 Tour live in cinemas
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 Woman verbally abused and threatened at petrol station
- 8 A giant of a show is coming to Welwyn Garden City as Campus West panto returns with Jack & the Beanstalk
- 9 9 huge shows and music festivals to look forward to in Hertfordshire in 2022
- 10 Welwyn Garden City battle adversity to win at Didcot Town
The sister of murder victim Peter McConnell, who was due to celebrate his 44th birthday on Christmas Day, told the court Clare’s treatment of her brother had been horrific.
*For full murder trial report see this week’s Welwyn Hatfield Times.