Jousting tournament set for Knebworth House
THIS weekend sees the start of the season for Knebworth House with a two-day jousting tournament, on Easter Sunday and Easter Monday. The event, one of the most popular in the stately home's annual programme, guarantees audiences all the romance and pagea
THIS weekend sees the start of the season for Knebworth House with a two-day jousting tournament, on Easter Sunday and Easter Monday.
The event, one of the most popular in the stately home's annual programme, guarantees audiences all the romance and pageantry of days gone by, with a line-up of wild action, hand-to-hand combat and equestrian skill.
There are two jousts each day starting at 12.30 and 2pm - subject to weather.
The Knights of Royal England Company are stars of the show.
You may also want to watch:
With more than 20 years' experience, they perform in an authentic jousting tournament arena with specially-built props, equipment, flags, a royal box and medieval tents.
Children are included in the action and have the opportunity to get involved as part of the supporting 'court'.
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 5 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 6 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 How was womanising Hatfield policeman allowed to work promoting female safety?
- 9 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 10 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
There will also be a range of activities for youngster over the holiday period.
Fort Knebworth and Adventure Playground with its swings, bouncy castle and giant slide provide hours of fun and games for parents and children.
There is a new miniature railway engine for 2009 which is always popular and is kept very busy chugging around the lower lakes and the playground.
Families can have a closer look at the history of one of Britain's most colourful stately homes.
They can also take the opportunity to explore the Wildness Garden, home to 72 life-size dinosaur models.
The adventure playground is open from 11am to 5pm on normal park opening days and the railway runs from noon to 5pm.
* Tickets for the jousting tournament cost �7.50, youngsters aged under four go free. A family ticket valid for any four people, adults or children, costs �26.
The ticket price includes admission to Knebworth's renowned park, Dino Trail and its 25 acres of gardens.