Jousting tournament set for Knebworth House
THIS weekend sees the start of the season for Knebworth House with a two-day jousting tournament, on Easter Sunday and Easter Monday. The event, one of the most popular in the stately home's annual programme, guarantees audiences all the romance and pagea
THIS weekend sees the start of the season for Knebworth House with a two-day jousting tournament, on Easter Sunday and Easter Monday.
The event, one of the most popular in the stately home's annual programme, guarantees audiences all the romance and pageantry of days gone by, with a line-up of wild action, hand-to-hand combat and equestrian skill.
There are two jousts each day starting at 12.30 and 2pm - subject to weather.
The Knights of Royal England Company are stars of the show.
You may also want to watch:
With more than 20 years' experience, they perform in an authentic jousting tournament arena with specially-built props, equipment, flags, a royal box and medieval tents.
Children are included in the action and have the opportunity to get involved as part of the supporting 'court'.
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 5 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 6 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 9 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 10 Council named wrong town planner as Garden City's principle creator
There will also be a range of activities for youngster over the holiday period.
Fort Knebworth and Adventure Playground with its swings, bouncy castle and giant slide provide hours of fun and games for parents and children.
There is a new miniature railway engine for 2009 which is always popular and is kept very busy chugging around the lower lakes and the playground.
Families can have a closer look at the history of one of Britain's most colourful stately homes.
They can also take the opportunity to explore the Wildness Garden, home to 72 life-size dinosaur models.
The adventure playground is open from 11am to 5pm on normal park opening days and the railway runs from noon to 5pm.
* Tickets for the jousting tournament cost �7.50, youngsters aged under four go free. A family ticket valid for any four people, adults or children, costs �26.
The ticket price includes admission to Knebworth's renowned park, Dino Trail and its 25 acres of gardens.