John Lewis Welwyn birthday celebrations
A LANDMARK store is set to celebrate 25 years in WGC. John Lewis opened its town centre shop in 1984, replacing Welwyn Department Stores. And to celebrate the milestone the retailer is hosting an anniversary day on Thursday, July 30. Celebrity chef Ain
A LANDMARK store is set to celebrate 25 years in WGC.
John Lewis opened its town centre shop in 1984, replacing Welwyn Department Stores.
And to celebrate the milestone the retailer is hosting an anniversary day on Thursday, July 30.
Celebrity chef Ainsley Harriott will be in store between 4pm and 5pm signing copies of his new book.
A host of demonstrations will be taking place in the beauty department with free makeovers on offer.
Star Wars characters are set to meet youngsters in the toy section and a jazz band will be playing in the store.
- 1 Serious shrubland fire extinguished next to M25 on Hertfordshire border
- 2 Warning issued over park fires as hot weather continues
- 3 Family raises funeral funds for mum who was known for helping others
- 4 How the hot summer weather is affecting parched Panshanger Park
- 5 Mitchell 'caught out' by poor Welwyn showing against Walthamstow
- 6 Sammy Moore delighted with an opening win after Potters Bar survive goalkeeping drama
- 7 Family living over their own waste for 13 years due to faulty pipe
- 8 Keeper drama survived as Potters Bar Town claim opening day win
- 9 Concert promoters Heritage Live planning Hatfield House shows in 2023
- 10 Amanda Owen to host 'An Evening with the Yorkshire Shepherdess' for Isabel Hospice
Managing director Andrew Slater said his 840 staff were looking forward to celebrations.
"It's important for a shop like this to be part of the community."
He said staff had already made an information display tracking the store's changes throughout the years, which will be on display in the revamped entrance off The Campus.
He said: "WGC is a place where people have a lot of interest in the town.
"Welwyn Department Stores and John Lewis have been part of that for many years.
"There have been improvements in store but we still offer the same level of service.
"We see are roles as helping our customers through the changes.
"Customer service is something we continue to work on."
A special anniversary display window demonstrating the different stock in store in both 1984 and 2009, including electronics and fashion, is currently on view.
n We'll have more from the store in forthcoming editions.