Joggers have festive fun for Welwyn Garden City hospice
THE snow and ice of the previous few days thawed and the sun came out in time for the annual Isabel Hospice Jingle Bells Fun Run & Walk.
Nearly 300 joggers and walkers braved the cold at Stanborough Lakes on Sunday, to raise funds for the WGC-based hospice.
And festive fancy dress was out in full force, with an assortment of reindeer – some running in formation – stars, snowmen and fairies circling the lakes.
To lift spirits – and cold bodies – Rosemary Conley diet and fitness instructor Lindsey Peters provided a vigorous warm-up, before participants were sent on their way by the firefighters of WGC’s Green Watch, who sounded the starting siren.
Other entertainment included carol singing from the junior choir at Welwyn’s Sherrardswood School. The choir also made a donation of �115, after parents had a retiring collection at a recent school event.
You may also want to watch:
Organiser Julie North said: “We were delighted so many people braved the cold to support Isabel Hospice.
“We hope to raise around �10,000 from the event.”
- 1 Murder-suicide investigation in Welwyn Garden City
- 2 Five hospitalised after Hatfield dog attack
- 3 YMCA overdose victims claim 'neglectful support service' at Welwyn Garden City facility
- 4 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 5 Welwyn Garden City Beaver raises more than £100 for NHS with yard sale
- 6 M25 protesters could face prison after Government secures injunction
- 7 12 year old girl hospitalised after being hit by car
- 8 Arson attack on two cars in Hatfield street
- 9 Headteacher calls out 'dangerous' and 'inconsiderate' parking from parents outside school
- 10 Bargains for shoppers at exclusive Hatfield Galleria VIP event
The annual event was backed by the Welwyn Hatfield Times, Jack FM, Mr H Productions and John Lewis.
Michael Burn, community liaison co-ordinator at John Lewis, said “We first supported the Isabel Hospice in the 1980s, just after John Lewis Welwyn opened.
“This is the second year we’ve sponsored the fun run and partners from John Lewis took part in the race. I was also delighted to be judging the fancy dress competition.”