Jobs and services under threat as Welwyn Hatfield Council cuts almost �2m from budget
JOBS and public services could be at risk, after Welwyn Hatfield Council revealed it will need to cut almost �2 million out of its budget next year.
In a leaked email seen by the Welwyn Hatfield Times, workers have been told the authority will have to find savings of �1.7m in 2011/12.
In an email sent to all borough council staff this week, chief executive Michel Saminaden said the coalition Government’s drastic cuts in public spending had put pressure on all local authorities in the country.
He wrote: “The executive board and cabinet have been discussing the situation and on Thursday of last week we agreed in principle a way forward to achieve a �1.7m cut in budget.
“Cabinet has identified specific areas to be reviewed in order to achieve these savings.”
You may also want to watch:
Sources close to the Welwyn Hatfield Times fear services which could be at risk include the Douglas Tilbe House day centre – which only last month received an emergency �30,000 in funding – Mill Green Museum and waste and recycling provision.
For more on this story, see this week’s Welwyn Hatfield Times, out today (Wednesday).
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 5 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 6 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 7 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 8 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 9 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 10 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses