Jobless total in Hertsmere at highest level since 1996
THE number of people on the dole in Hertsmere has reached its highest level since 1996. Figures just released by the Office for National Statistics show 1,646 people claimed Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) in the borough in April 2009. This is the highest
THE number of people on the dole in Hertsmere has reached its highest level since 1996.
Figures just released by the Office for National Statistics show 1,646 people claimed Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) in the borough in April 2009. This is the highest number since 1,830 signed on in October 1996 and is more than double the 755 who were on the dole in January 2008.
Robin Pyke, from the Hertfordshire Federation of Small Businesses (FSB), described the figures as "grim" and said they were heading toward the levels seen during the last recession in 1991.
"Small businesses as well as large are having to cut staff hours to try and avoid redundancies," he said.
You may also want to watch:
"The FSB would have liked to see the Budget bring in a wage subsidy for employers needing to cut staff hours, to help them avoid further cutbacks.
"The FSB believes this would have been an effective measure and would still like to see it implemented by the Government."
- 1 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 2 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 3 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 4 What time will the election results come in?
- 5 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
- 6 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
- 7 'Much harder this time around' - Father of three fighting cancer for second time in two years
- 8 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 9 Drug dealer sentenced to more than five years in prison
- 10 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
And for those unfortunate enough to lose their job, Mr Pyke gave the following advice: "If someone is made redundant this could be a great opportunity to become self-employed - but do get advice before committing redundancy payments as self employment can be tough as well as rewarding."
Across the UK as a whole, more than 2m people are currently out of work.