Jobless total in Hertsmere at highest level since 1996
THE number of people on the dole in Hertsmere has reached its highest level since 1996. Figures just released by the Office for National Statistics show 1,646 people claimed Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) in the borough in April 2009. This is the highest
THE number of people on the dole in Hertsmere has reached its highest level since 1996.
Figures just released by the Office for National Statistics show 1,646 people claimed Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) in the borough in April 2009. This is the highest number since 1,830 signed on in October 1996 and is more than double the 755 who were on the dole in January 2008.
Robin Pyke, from the Hertfordshire Federation of Small Businesses (FSB), described the figures as "grim" and said they were heading toward the levels seen during the last recession in 1991.
"Small businesses as well as large are having to cut staff hours to try and avoid redundancies," he said.
You may also want to watch:
"The FSB would have liked to see the Budget bring in a wage subsidy for employers needing to cut staff hours, to help them avoid further cutbacks.
"The FSB believes this would have been an effective measure and would still like to see it implemented by the Government."
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 5 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 8 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 9 Council named wrong town planner as Garden City's principle creator
- 10 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
And for those unfortunate enough to lose their job, Mr Pyke gave the following advice: "If someone is made redundant this could be a great opportunity to become self-employed - but do get advice before committing redundancy payments as self employment can be tough as well as rewarding."
Across the UK as a whole, more than 2m people are currently out of work.